What's new

Weird connection speed issue over wired network RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sk90y

New Around Here
I have an RT-AX88U and I am running Merlin 386.2_6 Koolshare edition. The problem is that on my main PC I am not getting full download speeds. Every other device at home is getting faster speeds than my main gaming pc. I am not sure where the bottleneck is.
When I run speedtest on the router itself I am getting this:
Untitled.png
But when I run speedtest on the computer I am getting this:
Untitled2.png
On the same server and everything. I have changed the DNS. I have tried using a type-c ethernet adapter, disabling QOS. But doesn't matter what I do the download speeds on this computer are always limited to around 2mb/s.
I am totally at a loss of what the issue can be.

Make sure there isn't a duplex problem on your nic. To rule that out you can test speeds between your main pc and some other device on your network.
I would use iperf tool to troubleshoot network issues to find the bottleneck.

I just tried it on 3 different devices. My TV, my Xbox and my phone. They are all getting good speeds. I also factory reset my router and tried out 2 different ethernet cables. It's just my gaming computer. I'll try iperf tool later today and update. I am just totally stumped. I think it might be a windows issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_162555.jpg
    IMG_20210808_162555.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20210808_162157.jpg
    IMG_20210808_162157.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20210808-160513.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-160513.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 83
I just tried it on 3 different devices. My TV, my Xbox and my phone. They are all getting good speeds. I also factory reset my router and tried out 2 different ethernet cables. It's just my gaming computer. I'll try iperf tool later today and update. I am just totally stumped. I think it might be a windows issue.
I made a batch file with the following commands, I ran it for the first time when I got 1000/50 connection as my OOKLA speeds were a fraction of the router speedtest, like yours.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

reboot after you run it, then test again.

I made a batch file with the following commands, I ran it for the first time when I got 1000/50 connection as my OOKLA speeds were a fraction of the router speedtest, like yours.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

reboot after you run it, then test again.
Just tried it... no change still the same issue..

Make sure there isn't a duplex problem on your nic. To rule that out you can test speeds between your main pc and some other device on your network.
I would use iperf tool to troubleshoot network issues to find the bottleneck.
Screenshot 2021-08-08 213824.png
Just checked my duplex setting.. it all looks normal to me.. but I wasn't able to install iperf on my router to test that out

This is not Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. Koolshare is your support forum, not SNB.
I am sorry. I didn't know there was a difference. I am in china and I bought the device with this edition preinstalled. I will switch to Asuswrt-Merlin.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!