What's new

What have I just spent £180 on? :( - DSL-AC88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andybtsn

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

After days of research, reading reviews and watching videos I decided the DSL-AC88U had everything I required.
Adaptive QOS
Game boost
Device bandwidth monitoring (most important)

After seeing lots of videos demoing this I have setup my router tonight and found none of these features exist,

Apparently I’m on the most up to date firmware. So it begs the question why is this £100 over the 68u using the exact same firmware and what happened to all these features. Am I missing something?
I got rid of the 68u as you couldn’t rename devices, I’m expecting this to be the same!!
Any help is appreciated before I package it up and send it back

thanks

I guess you have been reading the wrong specs .

>> DSL AC 88 U <<

That model is a bit long in the tooth , been around for @ 5 years now.

I think you might have confused the DSL-AC88U with the RT-AC88U. I'm not familiar with that DSL- device but I couldn't see anything on the website that says it has any gaming features (unlike the RT-AC88U which is a "gaming router"). It also doesn't say anything about Adaptive QoS (only normal QoS).

Last edited:
I think you might have confused the DSL-AC88U with the RT-AC88U. I'm not familiar with that DSL- device but I couldn't see anything on the website that says it has any gaming features (unlike the RT-AC88U which is a "gaming router").

Ouch. So I could actually save money returning this one and getting the RT-AC88U. I just need a modem to sort the dsl part.

Can anyone confirm the RT has device monitoring so I can see what is hogging bandwidth if I needed to?

Ouch. So I could actually save money returning this one and getting the RT-AC88U. I just need a modem to sort the dsl part.
I wouldn't recommend an RT-AC88U as it's an old device from 2015. The only thing it has going for it is 8 LAN ports instead of 4.

Look for alternatives in the Wireless Buying Advice forum. But strong contenders would be the RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U. It you need more than 4 LAN ports just buy an additional 5-port switch for a few quid.

Can anyone confirm the RT has device monitoring so I can see what is hogging bandwidth if I needed to?
I think all current RT- models can do that because they have adaptive QoS (check the specifications page for the router).

I wouldn't recommend an RT-AC88U as it's an old device from 2015. The only thing it has going for it is 8 LAN ports instead of 4.

Look for alternatives in the Wireless Buying Advice forum. But strong contenders would be the RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U. It you need more than 4 LAN ports just buy an addition 5-port switch for a few quid.

I think all current RT- models can do that because they have adaptive QoS (check the specifications page for the router).

Thank you, yes I'm glad I posted as I didn't realise they were that old. It appears GS-AX3000 of the ROG series appears to tick the boxes, again cheaper than what I paid.

Presumably I can get any DSL model/router, stick it bridge mode and then the AX3000 will work ok?

Presumably I can get any DSL model/router, stick it bridge mode and then the AX3000 will work ok?
It should be the case, unless there's some sort of special requirements from your ISP. I believe Sky used to play games like this. Check the forums for your ISP just to be sure.

Don't be persuaded to spend more money on a device just because it says it's a "gaming" router or has ROG printed on it. That's just marketing BS.

FYI: The GS-AX3000 is very new and only one forum member has posted he has it (and he's not in the UK). As far as I can see it's the same as the RT-AX58U, albeit without the "gaming" options in the GUI (which are just presets for the normal QoS).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!