What's new

what is that microsd slot inside the RT-N66U for?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goatdog

Occasional Visitor
what is that microsd slot inside the RT-N66U for?

I had an issue with the power button releasing itself and turns off the router , defective mechanical switch. Opened it up to bypass the power switch, found there was a microSD slot inside, what is that for? can I just plug in a formatted linux partition SD card into it to use as storage?

It's just another USB storage device, just like the external USB ports. I think they might have removed it in later hardware revisions.

And silence, did it fry the RT-N66U?
lol, why would it fry the router from inserting a microSD in a microSD slot? I have a 128GB usb on the router, have no immediate needs to open up the router again to insert it.... maybe I'll do it later.

Works only with SD-Cards up to 2 GB - no support for SDHC or SDXC cards as the router is quite old. :rolleyes:

I put 1 GB into my old N66U as internal system (Optware) and backup card - was really nice as the two external USB ports stay free!

I've got an 8GB in mine with no problems. I even formatted & partitioned it within AsusWRT's CLI.

IIRC, the limit was 32GB+.

Why isn't this thread stickied at the top of the forum listings? I've been tweaking my n66u for a while now and it's the first I've seen it.

Why isn't this thread stickied at the top of the forum listings? I've been tweaking my n66u for a while now and it's the first I've seen it.

It was stickied as it was a frequently asked question at the time...

Why that socket was there in the first place - likely more for development on the early models as one can point CFE at it - for storage, the SDIO interface is pretty slow compared to USB2 even, and it wasn't easy to access in any event.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!