What's new

What might restart syslogd and klogd in firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmkelley

Very Senior Member
(asking here for a wider audience than might see it in the scribe thread)

To those who are familiar with the firmware source:

Other than at boot, when I clearly can kill them when S01syslog-ng starts, what actions might restart syslogd and/or klogd? I honestly have no idea of what I'd search for to try to figure this out myself. If it's something that would kick off one of the other scripts anyways, I can add a check and kill there rather than adding a cron job.

Just killing syslogd at boot has appeared to work okay, but @Cam reported that something restarted klogd, although he's not sure what.

Last edited:
Changing settings on the System Log page will restart the logger service.

Also, any page that restarts the time service will also restart the klog/syslog services: WOL page (not sure why, needs to be investigated), System (where you can set ntp/timezone/etc...), Firmware Upgrade page, AiProtection main page.

Changing settings on the System Log page will restart the logger service.

Also, any page that restarts the time service will also restart the klog/syslog services: WOL page (not sure why, needs to be investigated), System (where you can set ntp/timezone/etc...), Firmware Upgrade page, AiProtection main page.
I know service-event is blocking, and since it sees "restart logger", is there a way to stop that process from occurring? I know I can spawn a parallel script that just waits for klogd and syslogd to start and then kills them (I use such a scheme to get ntp from my home ntp server as early as possible), but if there's an easy way to do in service-event that would be a more elegant solution.

I know service-event is blocking, and since it sees "restart logger", is there a way to stop that process from occurring?

No. Once the script returns, the rest of notification_handle() will be processed as usual.

No. Once the script returns, the rest of notification_handle() will be processed as usual.
Cool. Thought that might be the case, but I thought I'd give it the old college try.

I've successfully tested a script that will launch when service-event is called and wait for syslogd & klogd to start and then kill them. :)

Cool. Thought that might be the case, but I thought I'd give it the old college try.

I've successfully tested a script that will launch when service-event is called and wait for syslogd & klogd to start and then kill them. :)

I've recently been debating also adding a service-event-end as well, to execute at the end of any event so developers can take action following whatever the event has done.