What's new

What VPN router is best suited for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GrimmHoliday

Occasional Visitor
Howdy y'all! I found this forum through a 1 star amazon review on a router I was going to purchase, the Asus ac-88u. I've been looking for a router I can use to game with, one that is VPN enabled and will make my gaming anonymous (so strangers can't snag my IP address). I've signed up with express VPN but realized I couldn't attach it to my ISP's modem/router so am looking to "daisy chain" a new VPN router to that modem and plug my gaming console via ethernet/LAN cable into the new VPN router.

If you haven't noticed by now, yes. I am a rookie and have no idea what I'm doing. But we all start somewhere!

If I hadn't had read awful reviews on the Linksys WRT 3200 or the Netgear Nighthawk R7000, I wouldn't be here. But every website says these routers are the best of the best!

So I thought I'd ask the gurus what routers they would recommend for this situation. I'd like a router that can reach at least (or close to) 100 Mbps with a LAN cable, as my current internet is roughly 150-250 Mbps.

ANY help is appreciated. Go easy on this rookie!

For an Asus router, you want the RT-AC86U or the RT-AX88U currently. These have the fastest possible VPN speeds of up to 200Mbps+, vs. almost everything else being in the 30Mbps to 70Mbps speeds.

I would also recommend using RMerlin firmware on those routers. Even the Alpha 2 test builds have been stable, and bring noticeable improvements to the table.

For an Asus router, you want the RT-AC86U or the RT-AX88U currently. These have the fastest possible VPN speeds of up to 200Mbps+, vs. almost everything else being in the 30Mbps to 70Mbps speeds.

I would also recommend using RMerlin firmware on those routers. Even the Alpha 2 test builds have been stable, and bring noticeable improvements to the table.

Stupid question, but is Merlin different from RMerlin? Thank you very much for your knowledge! It's invaluable to me :) I came here from reddit unsatisfied and lots of people recommended ddwrt as well - you would choose RMerlin over this? I trust this forum above others tbh, haha.

Yes, Merlin is different, it is wrong. :)

RMerlin firmware is miles above the rest.

Yes, Merlin is different, it is wrong. :)

RMerlin firmware is miles above the rest.

Awesome!! Great information I haven't gotten anywhere else. You the man. I have the 86u in my cart and I'll get the RMerlin on a tab here. Cheers man.

You may want to have a look at the M&M Config and other guides in my signature then.

You may want to have a look at the M&M Config and other guides in my signature then.

One last question (I swear! haha). Will I need any other equipment in the "chain" to ensure a solid VPN connection? I see people using Raspberry Pi's in their router chains - what is the use for that and is it important? Sorry for the rookie Q's man.

Only if you want to make your life more complicated. :)

Only if you want to make your life more complicated. :)

Hey L! Sorry to bother, but I was wondering where I could find an RMerlin download? Does it work that way? I have your Asus/Merlin trouble shooting guide up here and I'm getting my router from Amazon today.