What's new

What’s the next router to consider?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My next router will have to be open source… I could not revert from what I got used with @Voxel

It will be a router only, and separated from WiFi AP.
It will need to sustain full gigabit routing, with as little impact as possible on buffer float, congestion and performance…
The OS will need to be totally accessible and customizable.

My next router will have to be open source… I could not revert from what I got used with @Voxel

It will be a router only, and separated from WiFi AP.
It will need to sustain full gigabit routing, with as little impact as possible on buffer float, congestion and performance…
The OS will need to be totally accessible and customizable.
I would say the same, but... does this router exist?

Re-opening this thread :)
So, our R7800 is still one of best router around ?
What do you think ?
I'm still really happy with mine, running Mr @Voxel 's firmware. I have close to 30+ devices connected, it handles them like a King.

If you have a gigabit or larger network (ISP) and you have AX clients, you can think about an AX router. If you lack specific features like VPN (WireGuard or OpenVPN) or some special cookies (like Plex or a good reliable Parental Control) you can look for some special router.

Otherwise: the R7800 is a very good workhorse. Still.

I bought myself an ASUS RT-AX86U, using it with Merlin firmware (many thanks to @RMerlin ) but apparently I'm not seeing much benefit from my purchase yet. Just for my very specific fun, special 64-bit Entware version for this router. Toy for me.

Just IMO.

Voxel.

The best logic I believe is when possible separate routing from AP, particularly with new meshed designs that removes the principle of one central AP.
My R7800 was powerful enough for gigabit traffic (and by enough, I mean with a large margin), but when I added a GRE tunnel to the equation, it was clearly limited.
I did get a recent x86 mini device suited to be used as a router with OpenWrt (low consumption and powerful), and kept the R7800 as the Wifi AP.

Hello everyone :)
Again, out of curiosity, what do you think about the Synology RT2600ac ? If I'm not mistaken, it has the same CPU as my beloved R7800, right ? How come there is no @Voxel firmware on that router ? ;)
I was looking around for a R9000 but you can't find a new one anymore. Only used routers. And I'd prefer to avoid buying a used router.
I'm crossing my fingers and praying everyday that my R7800 will keep on rocking. Cuz I don't know which router I would get to replace it :(

Last edited:
Again, out of curiosity, what do you think about the Synology RT2600ac ? If I'm not mistaken, it has the same CPU as my beloved R7800, right ? How come there is no @Voxel firmware on that router ? ;)

Syno's routers are quite good, and there really isn't a need for third party firmware like Voxel's for the R7800 (R7800 is an excellent router horribly hamstrung by poor Netgear software).

RT6600ax and their recently release WRX560 is showing some promise.

Do note that while the RT2600ac and R7800 share chipsets, architecturally they are quite different inside - their software is more like DSM than anything else - they've fully integrated the Qualcomm-Atheros closed source drivers for WiFi and the NSS subsystems into their own software baseline...

It's not a re-skin of QSDK with vendor special sauce sprinkled on it.

Syno's routers are quite good, and there really isn't a need for third party firmware like Voxel's for the R7800 (R7800 is an excellent router horribly hamstrung by poor Netgear software).

RT6600ax and their recently release WRX560 is showing some promise.

Do note that while the RT2600ac and R7800 share chipsets, architecturally they are quite different inside - their software is more like DSM than anything else - they've fully integrated the Qualcomm-Atheros closed source drivers for WiFi and the NSS subsystems into their own software baseline...

It's not a re-skin of QSDK with vendor special sauce sprinkled on it.
Have to agree here...Netgears firmware is what prevents me from considering netgears router hardware which is usually quite good. Have heard nothing but good stuff about Synologys firmware.

I have the opportunity to get a brand new R9000 for €180. What do you think I should do ? Stick with my R7800, still rocking my LAN ? Or get that R9000 fast because it's a gem and I won't be able to find a new one ever again ? I mean, I would of course install Mr @Voxel firmware over the Netgear firmware.
Thanx for your insights :)

I have the opportunity to get a brand new R9000 for €180. What do you think I should do ? Stick with my R7800, still rocking my LAN ? Or get that R9000 fast because it's a gem and I won't be able to find a new one ever again ? I mean, I would of course install Mr @Voxel firmware over the Netgear firmware.
Thanx for your insights :)
That still seems an aweful lot of money for an R9000.. but Im not familar with what other new routers cost by you. If I wanted to keep running Voxel I'd look for a used R9000 or R7800..as the hardware is older and one should not pay a lot for it.

Well that's the thing, I'd want to keep Mr @Voxel 's firmware. I don't want to buy a used router because I cannot be sure what's been done with it. Bad updates, faulty chips (NVRAM), tired power supply, ...
There are some other routers of course, newer, maybe more powerfull, but twice the price at least and... Maybe an Asus router with Merlin. Dunno. I think I'll stick with my R7800 still rocking solid :)

Damn... The store in Germany that sells the R9000 brand new doesn't ship to France :(
So impossible to find a brand new R9000.
Guess I'll have to switch brands if something bad happens to my R7800 :(
Asus ? Merlin's firmware ?

I would go for a good OpenWrt supported system or a Mikrotik.

Consumer routers (Netgear, Asus, TP-Link, etc…) are more en more gadgets with design and impressive special effects and bloatware, but less and less reliable for what it is supposed to do: serious networking.

RGB is a big improvement in Wi-Fi. I believe you need 802.11rgb clients though.
Yes, newer routers offer newer Wifi, but Wifi and routing are really two different things, and often consumer router brands are promoting and emphasizing the Wifi, forgetting the core function that is routing.

If you are serious and have more than basic home needs, get a real router for routing and a dedicated AP or set of AP meshes for Wifi, and real switches for copper/fiber LAN.

I bought a Netgate 4100 and use a router as an access point. The problem is that routers don't work well as access points since they don't support VLANs for the guest network. I have not found an acceptable access point yet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!