What's new

What's the point of DoH/DoT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

N

nikr

I've been running Pihole with cloudflare doh proxy for sometime now. While it works ok, I've been considering ditching it for Asus-merlin built in dot with nextdns. But does DoH/DoT makes any difference. My ISP can still see the IPs i am communicating with and can do reverse dns lookup to see what I am doing if they want to and if they dont it does not really matter anyways. I understand it prevents alteration of reply but that can also be accomplished with dnssec.

I know I am missing something, but cannot figure out what..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been running Pihole with cloudflare doh proxy for sometime now. While it works ok, I've been considering ditching it for Asus-merlin built in dot with nextdns. But does DoH/DoT makes any difference. My ISP can still see the IPs i am communicating with and can do reverse dns lookup to see what I am doing if they want to and if they dont it does not really matter anyways. I understand it prevents alteration of reply but that can also be accomplished with dnssec.

I know I am missing something, but cannot figure out what..
Much has been written on the topic. Boils down to what level of security or no security you are comfortable with.
This is a bit old but good: https://blog.apnic.net/2018/08/20/dnssec-and-dns-over-tls/
As for me I feel more comfortable using DoT (not DoH) with DNSSEC. We've gotten both built into the Merlin custom firmware for Asus routers.

An interview with Bill Woodcock (Quad 9 DNS) here.
He has quite the definite view of DoT vs DoH.
Well worth a read........

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!