What's new

Where can I find a comprehensive guide for the Asus WRT operating system, it has so many options, many I don't understand their purpose

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why not just download the full manual from Asus Support?

No such thing.

Closest thing: read the (entire/relevant) forum(s).

Looking for a detailed option by option review, explanation, etc., thank you

I use the FAQ search in the router webUI; the router docs, if any; Google Search; and this forum to learn what/how to configure the settings in the router webUI. I keep my home router configuration as simple as I can... what I configure is noted in my install notes.

OE

Last edited:
Looking for a detailed option by option review, explanation, etc., thank you

Most settings in Asuswrt have built-in help:

1690734514427.png

Not always accurate, but router's own User Manual + built-in GUI help + Google search provide plenty of information.

For far most users and applications the majority of default router settings will work well.
Advise one: write down the settings changes you make from Factory Defaults.
Then start like this from Factory Defaults:
  • Router Login Name.
  • Router Login Password.
  • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
  • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
  • Leave everything else default.
Usually the following settings are recommended as well (they avoid the use of non standard features that often cause wireless issues):
  • Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz:
    • Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
    • Airtime Fairness: Disable
    • Explicit Beamforming: Disable
    • Universal Beamforming: Disable
  • Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz:
Further setting changes shall only been made when there is a need and if you understand the purpose.
As a note: the blue part is how I write down my setting changes from Factory Default in a text file.

Last edited:
For far most users and applications the majority of default router settings will work well.
Advise one: write down the settings changes you make from Factory Defaults.
Then start like this from Factory Defaults:
  • Router Login Name.
  • Router Login Password.
  • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
  • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
  • Leave everything else default.
Usually the following settings are recommended as well (they avoid the use of non standard features that often cause wireless issues):
  • Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz:
    • Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
    • Explicit Beamforming: Disable
  • Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz:
Further setting changes shall only been made when there is a need and if you understand the purpose.
As a note: the blue part is how I write down my setting changes from Factory Default in a text file.
I had an issue with a Dell laptop running Linux that Wifi after a few hours for no reason will get disconnected, after I disabled the options you suggested in Wireless Professional, all the disconnections are gone, it uses an Intel AX211 adapter, maybe is the Linux driver, because in Windows doesn't happens. Thank you

Wireless drivers are also a known cause of connection issues.
At least Intel is releasing new (Windows-) drivers for their network adapters mutliple time a year. Besides fixing security issues, they often break wireless performance until another release.