What's new

Where is Firmware Image v3.0.0.4.388.22525 for RT-AX68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

visortgw

Very Senior Member
I see that ASUS has posted GPL of ASUS RT-AX68U for firmware 3.0.0.4.388.22525 (Version 3.0.0.4.388.22525, 910.28 MB, 2023/04/28), but I cannot find the actual compiled firmware image v388.22525 for the RT-AX68U. Has anyone seen the actual image for download?

FYI, the latest that I can find is 388.21732.

Thanks!

Asus hasn't released one based on that GPL version.

But RMerlin has it in 388.2_0 final, from April 12th, 2023.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the GPL version? I own the RT-AX68U running ASWRT v 388.21732 and love it

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the GPL version? I own the RT-AX68U running ASWRT v 388.21732 and love it
GPL is the source code and closed source components that can be compiled to create firmware image.

GPL is the source code and closed source components that can be compiled to create firmware image.
Interesting..having replaced my AC68P with the AX68U, I find it unusual that Asus hasn't released a firmware update since 11/28/22..even the AC68P continues to get them..That said, its extremely stable as it is

I find it unusual

I told you to avoid this model, but you didn't listen. You were chasing the cheap. This model not only had connection issues (hopefully fixed by now for who has it), but also regular firmware release delays. It was replaced by multiple BCM6750 and BCM6756 based models for some good reasons.

I told you to avoid this model, but you didn't listen. You were chasing the cheap. This model not only had connection issues (hopefully fixed by now for who has it), but also regular firmware release delays. It was replaced by multiple BCM6750 and BCM6756 based models for some good reasons.
It's been by FAR the best Asus router I've owned..better range and signal strength than the AC68P, cool to the touch and problem free..sorry to disappoint you, LOL

@jontalk, why aren't you using the superior, and more up-to-date RMerlin version?

Don't really have the need for its features but I appreciate you mentioning it regardless..I was just curious why Asus hasn't released a more current ASWRT version though the current one has been extremely stable :)

RMerlin's firmware's most significant feature isn't the features. The code has been gone over with a fine-tooth comb and includes security and performance enhancements beyond stock firmware. Particularly with your model's example.

You don't drive a Ferrari because you're doing 290 all the time.

Sometimes, you drive it just because it makes you (or your network) feel good. :)

RMerlin's firmware's most significant feature isn't the features. The code has been gone over with a fine-tooth comb and includes security and performance enhancements beyond stock firmware. Particularly with your model's example.

Sometimes, you drive it just because it makes you (or your network) feel good. :)
I appreciate the tip..especially since I'm a big Ferrari fan, LOL

PS...since I've never used it, if I decide to install it, will it delete all the settings I've changed?

No, it won't. But it's almost guaranteed to be unstable (if not immediately, in the near future).

But it is highly recommended to flash the new firmware, do a full reset to factory defaults, and then do a minimal and manual router configuration.

Be sure you read the changelog file(s) and modify your use cases appropriately.

Use the correct method to reset your router from the link below (after you've flashed the firmware you want to use).

The following link(s) may also help get the best performance out of your router.

No, it won't. But it's almost guaranteed to be unstable (if not immediately, in the near future).

But it is highly recommended to flash the new firmware, do a full reset to factory defaults, and then do a minimal and manual router configuration.

Use the correct method to reset your router from the link below (after you've flashed the firmware you want to use).

The following link(s) may also help get the best performance out of your router.

Thanks!!

It's been by FAR the best Asus router I've owned..better range and signal strength than the AC68P

Some routers starting from $50 have now better signal strength and range than 10-years old RT-AC68U(P). Hopefully Asus/Broadcom figured out what was wrong with this BCM6710 chip on 5GHz and you get few more years of support for your RT-AX68U.

P.S. I find it very odd that @Tech9 lambasts this model when I see few if any posts about problems with it..Ya can't say that about the other models :) Regardless, I find that its well designed, FAR cooler to the touch that past Asus routers and consistently stable. As the saying goes, 'each to their own'!

First, @Tech9 knows what's inside - this is the only Asus router in this configuration, they run into issues with it, they stopped making it, it was replaced by different hardware routers in AX3000-class. Second, there was a very long thread here about Wi-Fi issues, pages long. Third, there were repeated similar Wi-Fi connectivity complaints in reviews everywhere. Forth, this router is not popular here on SNB Forums because other people do find information - look at firmware release threads and how many people reply. As I said - good luck with it. To each their own indeed. Wait for a firmware update now and stop wondering why your old AC68P gets updates but your new AX68U doesn't. You wanted cheap - you've got cheap.

Last edited:
Are there any features that are going to be lost when moving from 3.0.0.4.388.21732 to 388.2_2 ?

Are there any features that are going to be lost when moving from 3.0.0.4.388.21732 to 388.2_2 ?
Lost? No.
Gained? Yes!

Might be better to go with the 3004.388.4_beta3

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!