What's new

Which Giga Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uxbod

New Around Here
Hi (first post so please be gentle),

I am after a giga switch to complete my home network and have been looking for a reasonable priced Cisco (hmmm those words do not go together) ...

The Linksys SR2024 looks interesting but have seen mixed reviews especially around the noise of the cooling fan.

So far my kit consists of:

Cisco 800 DSL Router, ASA 5505, AP1130AG
3 x Mini ITX Rackmount servers (Zimbra, Asterisk, Web)

I have a small rack so ideal a switch that can be mounted.

Any thoughts or recommendations ?

Last edited:
For unmanaged switches, you can buy on brand preference, price and warranty. There are no performance differences.

Any particular reason for looking for a Cisco switch?

Primarily as I am running Cisco already and would like to study for a CCNA. Ideally would like managed for setting up VLANs etc.

For unmanaged switches, you can buy on brand preference, price and warranty. There are no performance differences.

Any particular reason for looking for a Cisco switch?

I don't know if I believe that. Some of these switches are pretty bad.

I picked up a Netgear GS-605 that supposedly supports Jumbo frames to 9K. When I set both machines to 9K it transfers files at (no kidding) 800kbps.

When the server (WHS) is set to 9k and Jumbo frames is disabled on my Win 7 64 bit machine with Realtek 8111D then the speeds go up to about 80-90MBps. If I set the the WHS machine to disabled jumbo frames then I start seeing 40-50MBps transfers. I have played with drivers and settings and it's just crazy.

To see if the switch is the cause I took the switch out and just connected the 2 machines with a cable and I saw 80-90MBps transfers with 9K on both machines.

I don't know what's going on and I suspect the switch is the cause. So I researched a switch that seems to have promise:

HP Procurve 1400-8G and then I read this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rk=&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&Keywords=

It does not support flow control and jumbo frames. I can't find a good switch these days. I assumed they all were the same too but I think they deserve their own testing and charting.

I'm getting sick and tired of network performance issues and I'm about to get Intel NICs for both machines and a decent switch but which one?

I picked up a Netgear GS-605 that supposedly supports Jumbo frames to 9K. When I set both machines to 9K it transfers files at (no kidding) 800kbps.
When you ping, did you see fragmented packets.

NETGEAR doesn't spec jumbo frame support for the GS-605. So you can hardly blame them if it doesn't work.

The GS108 would be a better alternative. It's spec'd to support up to 9K jumbo frames.

Primarily as I am running Cisco already and would like to study for a CCNA. Ideally would like managed for setting up VLANs etc.

Just keep in mind you can't really do your CCNA with a Linksys / Cisco Small Business switch. They are all web managed. You would need something with Cisco IOS on it. That would be the Cisco Catalyst series.

You could get two switches. One for network transfers and general stuff like that (Linksys SRW2024 or similar would be great) and then something like a Catalyst 2950 for CCNA testing and practice.

If you're really looking for managed Cisco equipment, I would check eBay as used is usually just fine.

I prefer the Cisco 3750 either 24/48 port Gig switch if your going to go for the CNA certs. Telnet or Web management pretty straight forward. Nortel switches I know not mention suppose to be more reliable when it comes to tight high heat network closets. But for what you need get 3750 if you can't get the 2900 series instead as mention above.

Good luck on the exam!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!