What's new

Which to buy? Asus RT-AC5300 or Ax88u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amethyst

Occasional Visitor
I need 8 lan port for my home network because i got 3 sony android tv each connect to a lan port, 1 raspberry pi connect to a lan port (work as a nas storage so my family can watch latest bluray movie), 1 lan port to my desktop computer, 2 lan port to 2 security camera. My family had 5 smartphone (both android and iOS), 3 iPad, 2 MacBook pro and 1 ASUS ROG G703GX. Some of my family device can connect through wifi6 (ax). I’m wondering about processing. Should I get a ax88u? Does it be able to handle that much wireless device (both in wifi 6 (ax) and ac)?

My home network is 1 Gbps from the ISP.

Do I need an router or any network hardware that support 2,5Gbps network or more? Because my nas system had many 4k movie. It gonna need more local network bandwidth.

If you had experience in home network, you can help me by recommended some network hardware that I might need.

Thank you for your reading.

I need 8 lan port for my home network because i got 3 sony android tv each connect to a lan port, 1 raspberry pi connect to a lan port (work as a nas storage so my family can watch latest bluray movie), 1 lan port to my desktop computer, 2 lan port to 2 security camera. My family had 5 smartphone (both android and iOS), 3 iPad, 2 MacBook pro and 1 ASUS ROG G703GX. Some of my family device can connect through wifi6 (ax). I’m wondering about processing. Should I get a ax88u? Does it be able to handle that much wireless device (both in wifi 6 (ax) and ac)?

My home network is 1 Gbps from the ISP.

Do I need an router or any network hardware that support 2,5Gbps network or more? Because my nas system had many 4k movie. It gonna need more local network bandwidth.

If you had experience in home network, you can help me by recommended some network hardware that I might need.

Thank you for your reading.
Keep your current router, buy an 8 port gigabit switch and plug it into one of the router LAN ports.

A 2.5 or 10 Gbps switch will help only if you have devices that also run at that speed. 4K movies require 20-40 Mbps stream rate.

@amethyst - Choosing your router based on 8+ switch ports is going to be limiting, as you've already found out. Per @thiggins' suggestion, much better to wire in an 8-port gigabit switch, especially if you're interested in 2.5 or 5Gb ethernet; if you're looking for multi-gig interfaces on a router, you're just better off going for one with a 10Gb SFP or copper port(s) and wiring that to a multi-gig switch for your wireless APs or other multi-gig devices.

Last edited:
Dont buy Asus Router....Asus router have much bugs...all version...and WTFAST (RT-AC88U, RT-AX88U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, GT-AC5300, GT-AX11000, and GT-AX11000_BO4) very expensive and work very bad...you can check in forum, if you want buy Router WIFI, i think ubiquiti is better....

You are not forced to use WTFast on your router. If it doesn't work well for you, just disable it, no need to buy a router with no WTFast support just for that...

I second the idea of an external switch as well. Will be easier to upgrade in the future if you need to replace the router or the switch, as you will have a lot more options available to you.