What's new

Why are mesh nodes using the same Wifi band as the router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
I just don't understand why. It should increase throughput considerably particularly in a crowded environment.

I can guess that there are a few reasons to use the same band(s) on all nodes:
  • It makes the administration simpler. Just one setting is needed.
  • The coding to facilitate different bands could be very complex and possibly not backwards compatible.
    • How will different HW and FW work together?
    • The complexity of the needed coding will make it very difficult to test and verify.
    • The added complexity will increase the likelihood of operational problems.
  • It might improve handover between the different nodes. Could it be that ASUS has implemented some kind of 802.11r support that replaces the need for a RADIUS server? Just like they have done with 802.11k and 802.11v on AX routers?
Just wondering, seems like other brands do it in the same way......

Can you clarify what alternative configuration you're suggesting? Each radio can only operate on one channel group (primary+secondary). So unless you've got tri-band routers the nodes must operate on the same channel as the parent that it's connected to. Or are you talking about 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz?

No, I would like to do as when I use my AP's without AImesh. That is, have the same SSID but different bands and thus frequences. Only on 5 GHz.

No, I would like to do as when I use my AP's without AImesh. That is, have the same SSID but different bands and thus frequences. Only on 5 GHz.
Ah OK, you're talking about a wired backhaul. I thought you were describing wireless backhaul. That make more sense.

No, I would like to do as when I use my AP's without AImesh.

Use AP mode. You can get almost 2x aggregate throughput to clients on different channels. You can also adjust individual Tx rower. No much control with AiMesh. The "roaming" capabilities are the same. Works best with same radios (hardware) on main and nodes (or access points). One of the reasons I reccomend AiMesh with identical routers. Otherwise the clients will prefer one specific radio and connect there all the time, even if further away. This behavior was observed in my tests with AX86U and AC86U routers in AiMesh. My AC clients prefer AC86U and just ignore AX86U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!