What's new

Why does my G connect faster then my N card and is more reliable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mslisaj

New Around Here
Here is the background. I have access to a D-Link DIR-615 router. It is 138' and two walls away from my computer. I have a laptop running Windows XP and I let XP handle the connections. I used my original Linksys WPC54G card to connect to the D-Link router and while my connections were "LOW" my speed was about 5.5 mbps which allowed me to get my email and do some mild surfing. The computer always connected right away and life was good. So I decided that being the router was N and all the good things I have heard about N I got a Linksys WPC600N card expecting everything to be better. While my connection has improved to "GOOD" it's almost impossible to connect. When it does connect my speed goes down to 2 mbps or drops to zero and then disconnects. I have battled this problem for a month now and finally I tried my trusty WPC54G card and back to connecting right away and the usual performance. At least it works.
My Questions are as follows:

1) Any thoughts as to what's going on here and why the G works better?

2) Being I can't change the distance or two walls what could be done to improve this situation?

3) Having read the reviews of the routers on this website would an upgrade to the DIR-625 Router be better or do you have a different brand that would work better.

I have played with the settings in the router software and found no difference as to the changes or performance. The strange thing is when I get a "Better" signal strength and even higher speed showing when I hover over the icon the computer won't connect at all with the N card.

All thoughts and idea's are appreciated.

Thank you for your help and ideas.......

Lisa :(

Thank you for taking your time to reply to my question. I don't have access to the Router right now but last month when I checked it, it had the latest version. The router is only two months old too..........

It's funny that it's really works to get a connection. As I mentioned I am pushing the distance at 138' but the G works perfectly and connects right away.......... Go figure.........

I also tried the "five ways to fix" that you recommended also...........

Sorry I can't be more specific at this time........

Lisa

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!