What's new

Why no new Merlin firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The userbase that uses Merlin-WRT is an incredibly incredibly small percentage. Merlin is in contact with Asus and that hasn't really gotten anywhere and you can boycott Asus routers, but that would be akin to spitting in a lake.
I will try peacefully for now. I will contact them and ask them that we need to solve this problem right away.

it's still a little sad all the time .... personally i'm looking at an alternative solution ...

personally i'm looking at an alternative solution

Here:

Here:
Thanks, but I'm looking for Ubiquiti setup with Dreammachine PRO and multiple AP AX...

I will try peacefully for now. I will contact them and ask them that we need to solve this problem right away.
Please don't. Don't annoy ASUS or they may hesitate to resume their friendly relationship.

I plan to come out of retirement in 2037. I missed the 1999 gold mine :).
Those were the days! So much money spent on that. Incredible.

Please don't. Don't annoy ASUS or they may hesitate to resume their friendly relationship.
Asus is a company. They aren't doing this because they are benevolent open source lovers. They found a niche market which is working and generating sales.
When it stops generating sales, they kill it ASAP.

Bought AX86U few months ago, and my most important reason was that is was supported by Merlin.
If they would drop open source path and block Merlin development, I wouldn't hate them, but in my eyes they would loose all advantages over other manufacturers. My next router would be probably be chosen based only on price, and there are much cheaper alternatives to Asus.

If they would drop open source path and block Merlin development, I wouldn't hate them, but in my eyes they would loose all advantages over other manufacturers. My next router would be probably be chosen based only on price, and there are much cheaper alternatives to Asus.
I would just be looking for a good router that was supported by one of the other open source firmwares. I won't buy one that's locked down to the company's firmware until I have no options left.

I've gone to PFSense on an older i5 Dell 390 mini-tower. 4 pci-e slots stuffed with Intel 2.5gb NIC's. Latest PFSense supports them. Cost was 90 bucks for the NIC's. The Dell, boo hiss its an "old" PC, was free. Works great and it is fast, fast, fast. I'm only using the basic ie simple features. I installed pfblockerng but took it out. I didn't have time to do it correctly as there is a learning curve.

BUT I'm using the AX-86U as an AP/LAN switch. Its 2.5gb port as a LAN port going to the 2.5gb on the PFSense router. Everything at the fastest I can be with my ISP. Getting 1.4gbs-1.8gbs via fast.com and xfinity test site.

Which means I check for updated firmware regularly. Being the pattern of updates had stopped I though maybe RMerlin was sick, something happened to him.

I'm very glad its just an ASUS thing.

On my recommendation I've lost track of how many folks have bought an AX-86U. I have a hard time believing ASUS would give up on it. It is one of the best values/performing routers to come along in a long time.

Look how long Netgear has kept the R7800 going..............

My next router would be probably be chosen based only on price, and there are much cheaper alternatives to Asus.

Current Asuswrt beta has some of RMerlin features. Cheaper alternatives will give you 2-3 firmware updates for the life of the product.

BUT I'm using the AX-86U as an AP/LAN switch.

The issue with home routers as APs is lack of VLANs support. If you want GN or separate IoT SSID, it may be difficult to impossible to implement.

Late to the party and only got short answers, what is wrong with asus?I too noticed the lack of updates made me suspicious.