What's new

Why no new Merlin firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

We have a first batch (plus the RT-AX86U that was received a while ago).

1635434324441.png

Great news!!!!!

When will Asus finally fix the error in the form of spam traffic in the log with an active Guest network 1? ;)

Oct 28 18:36:33 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7
Oct 28 18:37:33 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7
Oct 28 18:37:34 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7

1635435516052.png

View attachment 37070
Great news. I've been quietly using Merlin firmware for years now, very successfully. Hopefully the entire GPL mess will be just a bad memory sooner rather than later. Thanks for all your work on this excellent and most useful project!

You probably have time. I only got a few of the AX models so far, and I do need to merge all these cleaned up SDKs, which will take time.

You will finally get to give the new computer you built a good workout. Enjoy!

Morris

You will finally get to give the new computer you built a good workout. Enjoy!

Morris
It did during the 386.2 and 386.3 development cycles. Building all firmwares went from a bit over two hours down to 45 minutes.

It is obvious that the release cadence has missed a sprint or two. It is very likely either bugs in new features and external pressures with GPL licensing caused a new release to be delayed. I'm happy to run a stable firmware with some old issues rather than one that might crash all the time or create legal jeopardy for everyone using it. I'm certain with ASUS' size, clout and expertise they will be able to get back to normal, and I'm certain they've already had enough complaints about this lag in new firmware to know they need to resolve it fast.

Last edited:
As long as no major security issue and no major bug with existing version, I can wait, and we should wait.

After all, our router is still up and running.

Any chance of a small release first with most critical stuff (like security fixes) then any functional changes or bigger stuff in the next?

Not sure of the code is all or nothing or whether bits can be prioritised.

It's just been a while since last round of security fixes so keen to have them ASAP (when RMerlin done the work that is) rather than several beta cycle.

You probably have time. I only got a few of the AX models so far, and I do need to merge all these cleaned up SDKs, which will take time.

Hey Merlin do you plan any alpha releases for the current models you have new GPL for ? Or are you planning to wait till you have all your supported models.

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Any chance of a small release first with most critical stuff (like security fixes) then any functional changes or bigger stuff in the next?
No, because a 6 months jump in GPL code merge is major, and will require extended testing and debugging. Plus I only have GPLs for less than half of the models at this time.

It's just been a while since last round of security fixes
A lot of the recent Asus security fixes do not apply to my firmware, as I was already using newer versions of dnsmasq, OpenVPN, etc... And quite a few of these (anything related to wireless for instance) is in the closed source portions, which means I will need the GPL archives for each individual models to be able to apply these.

Hey Merlin do you plan any alpha releases for the current models you have new GPL for ?
Probably, once I'm satisfied with the state of the merge. In addition to the major SDK cleanups, I have a 6+ months jump in GPL code, including a lot of conflicting code that need to be harmonized. I need to harmonize Asus's new DHCP hostname code with mine, for example.

Probably, once I'm satisfied with the state of the merge. In addition to the major SDK cleanups, I have a 6+ months jump in GPL code, including a lot of conflicting code that need to be harmonized. I need to harmonize Asus's new DHCP hostname code with mine, for example.

Thanks for the information.