What's new

Why no new Merlin firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You probably have time. I only got a few of the AX models so far, and I do need to merge all these cleaned up SDKs, which will take time.
I'll alpha test those AX model builds for ya ;) I'd compile but if I've read correct half the stuff won't work due to closed soeuce issues and only you have access to it

Maybe it's time for a wiki update, there are quite obsolete building manuals. There is a lot of difficulties with aclocal/automake, it doesn't work neither on Ubuntu 18.04 nor 20.04 from a scratch.
Edit: Ubuntu 21.10 didn't help too. :-(

Last edited:
Maybe it's time for a wiki update, there are quite obsolete building manuals. There is a lot of difficulties with aclocal/automake, it doesn't work neither on Ubuntu 18.04 nor 20.04 from a scratch.
Edit: Ubuntu 21.10 didn't help too. :-(
My build environment is based on Ubuntu 20.04, and still works fine for me.

I have no doubt about that. I wanted to say that there are assembly instructions for all N models that have not been supported for several years and I miss the description for the AX assembly. I tried clean install of the latest Ubuntu 20.04.3, building environment plus extra steps for Ubuntu 13.10 and later, clean cloned repo but the compilation still ended in a aclocal version mismatch. That leads me to conclusion that either something is missing in this manual (maybe some prerequisites) or something what should not be is in the repo. I was able to solve it myself but only by manual repo adjusting, which took me much more time that I have expected. This is not a complaint, this is simply a fact that I wanted to point out.

Are we at risk, now Asus had fixed CVE-2021-41435, CVE-2021-41436 in the original firmware?

Are we at risk, now Asus had fixed CVE-2021-41435, CVE-2021-41436 in the original firmware?

CVE-2021-41435 and CVE-2021-41436 have not been disclosed. There is no elevated risk​

Morris

Will there be any new updates to the Merlin firmware?

Will there be any new updates to the Merlin firmware?

ASUS has already provided a new GPL to RMerlin, and RMerlin has already started working on a new firmware release using this GPL. Alphas for many router models are available.

ASUS has already provided a new GPL to RMerlin, and RMerlin has already started working on a new firmware release using this GPL. Alphas for many router models are available.
I don't think this is accurate. My understanding is that RMerlin has not received all the GPLs for the different router models. The alphas are not part of this process. Someone please jump in if this is incorrect.

I've jumped the ship and moved back to stock firmware after few years :( Miss dual OpenVPNs configs a lot though. May I ask if anyone knows any good routers with stock firmare that allow this?

I don't think this is accurate. My understanding is that RMerlin has not received all the GPLs for the different router models. The alphas are not part of this process. Someone please jump in if this is incorrect.

It is an accurate statement. ASUS has provided a new GPL that addresses the issues that held back release of a GPL for many months. Not all models that RMerlin supports are covered by this GPL. RMerlin has said that in several threads. If your router is one that is not yet covered by the new GPL, then sit tight and hope that ASUS will be providing a GPL for that router.

The GPL validation/cleanup process is still ongoing. Each model requires to get through that process individually. So far only the AX models for which I have provided alpha builds have completed this process. No ETA as to when the rest will follow (which should also come with an updated code version over the 45581 version that was initially used in the first batch of validation).

Everyone sit back... relax... blaze up a cigar and let the wizard go to work.

My router is patiently waiting for the new Merlin firmware to have a deserved restart:

1637144891025.png

Pretty sure that he will make it until the new version arrives :)

The GPL validation/cleanup process is still ongoing. Each model requires to get through that process individually. So far only the AX models for which I have provided alpha builds have completed this process. No ETA as to when the rest will follow (which should also come with an updated code version over the 45581 version that was initially used in the first batch of validation).
Will there ever be public announcement what exactly was issue with old GPL? Someone claiming part of open source code is their proprietary code or?