What's new

Why no new Merlin firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The GPL validation/cleanup process is still ongoing. Each model requires to get through that process individually. So far only the AX models for which I have provided alpha builds have completed this process. No ETA as to when the rest will follow (which should also come with an updated code version over the 45581 version that was initially used in the first batch of validation).

Asus has released for some AC routers

2021/11/16 144.4 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.45934

2021/10/21 41.02 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.45898

Am waiting for RT-AC86U ...

The GPL validation/cleanup process is still ongoing. Each model requires to get through that process individually. So far only the AX models for which I have provided alpha builds have completed this process. No ETA as to when the rest will follow (which should also come with an updated code version over the 45581 version that was initially used in the first batch of validation).
@RMerlin I'm pretty new to your version of firmware, and i really like it. Thank you for your work.

I have only one question. I hope it is no problem. I'm just curious. i have seen the screenshot of the GPL files and they are really big. Do you get after every firmware update such huge GPL file? I really have no idea how GPL really works.

Will there ever be public announcement what exactly was issue with old GPL? Someone claiming part of open source code is their proprietary code or?
Asus already posted something about it on the forums a few weeks ago.
Asus has released for some AC routers
Firmware images are useless to me, I work with source code.
I have only one question. I hope it is no problem. I'm just curious. i have seen the screenshot of the GPL files and they are really big. Do you get after every firmware update such huge GPL file? I really have no idea how GPL really works.
Asus uploads those 1-2 GB archives for each individual models to my server. They are not necessarily tied to specific firmware releases in my case, as unlike them I base all of my firmware releases on one single version, not on separate ones. Separately, they also normally provide these archive specific to their own firmware releases through their support website, but these releases are also currently on hold while they resolve the issues tied to them.

Thank you, but I'm aware of that post. Was asking if there is info "what exactly" was issue. Legal concerns is vary vague, that's why I asked is there someone claiming code which was open sourced or something else. I guess there aren't any concrete answers what issue is right now.

Thank you, but I'm aware of that post. Was asking if there is info "what exactly" was issue. Legal concerns is vary vague, that's why I asked is there someone claiming code which was open sourced or something else. I guess there aren't any concrete answers what issue is right now.
This is the only info Asus has publicly shared.

Like a fine wine or port, goodness takes time :)

Ok, thank you. Was curious if more info was released.
It’s a fair bet that through personal relationships, some people might have more details, I for one, would rather they not sacrifice those relationships to satiate our collective curiosity.

While I would be happy to see a Merlin version come out with patches for my trusty AC68U, it’ll happen when it happens. This project is ultimately a labor of love and community, and we don’t need to make it more laborious than it already is.

there's Still things that merlin offers not in the official firmware Right ?

is time the only thing stopping an update for the current merlin firmware ?

MY AX88U is a bit cold ...

Any estimates in when we might see new Merlin firmware for the ax88u? Asus has updated 3 times since the last Merlin update on 6 Aug. Patches for the vulnerabilities seem important but I dread having to go back to asus firmware given it will be missing much of the functionality I’ve been using in Merlin including the amtm addons like Diversion, Skynet, Yazfi, and Scribe.

Is there anything we loyal users can do to help Get the Merlin project going again? One of the major reasons why I purchased an asus router was for the Merlin firmware and ability to to customize my home network.

Any estimates in when we might see new Merlin firmware for the ax88u? Asus has updated 3 times since the last Merlin update on 6 Aug. Patches for the vulnerabilities seem important but I dread having to go back to asus firmware given it will be missing much of the functionality I’ve been using in Merlin including the amtm addons like Diversion, Skynet, Yazfi, and Scribe.

Is there anything we loyal users can do to help Get the Merlin project going again? One of the major reasons why I purchased an asus router was for the Merlin firmware and ability to to customize my home network.

Welcome to the forums @ElmerFudd.

Have you read anything in this thread? It'll be ready when it's ready.

Asus has to repackage it, then release it (GPL), then RMerlin needs time to make it his.

Telling ya, we need a sticky. Heh heh.

Telling ya, we need a sticky. Heh heh.
LOL, not sure that would make a difference - since the question keeps getting answered over and over and over again - in THIS thread, where its been answered and the information posted that NO additional information should be anticipated until the next release happens, whenever that is!

This thread needs to be locked already. There is an entire thread of info and people still insist on asking.