What's new

Wi-Fi calling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What firmware version of Merlin are you running on your AC5300?
Are you running any additional scripts or add-ons?
Are you using AiMesh?
Did you do a hard factory reset and manually reconfigure (without loading any saved router CFG file) when you went from Asus stock to Asus-Merlin firmware?
What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
Have you checked the router system logs for any errors?
Have you tried forgetting the WiFi connection and then creating a new fresh connection on the affected device?

I’m not overly sophisticated with this stuff. Someone helped me move from stock to Merlin as I was having intermittent issues working good since except wifi calling. Yea to the hard reset
Updated to 386.10 this aft.
No to the system logs as I wouldn’t know what to look for.
No to the new fresh connection.
Thx

Just as a heads up, due to security issues specifically on some Samsung devices, I believe some mobile networks are disabling WiFi calling on those devices!

Using an iPhone. Thx
Do a network reset on your iphone. Set your wifi password back in as it will forget all networks you've been connected to. (Turn off MAC Randomization "Private wifi address" if you want) Turn back on wifi calling. Make sure your cellular network is set to your carrier; when on automatic if roaming wifi calling may not work on all carrier partners doesn't matter if you get no signal on your carrier if set to your carrier wifi calling should work. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204051

ios-16-iphone-13-pro-settings-general-transfer-reset-network-settings-ontap.png

Thx will try that

Do a network reset on your iphone. Set your wifi password back in as it will forget all networks you've been connected to. (Turn off MAC Randomization "Private wifi address" if you want) Turn back on wifi calling. Make sure your cellular network is set to your carrier; when on automatic if roaming wifi calling may not work on all carrier partners doesn't matter if you get no signal on your carrier if set to your carrier wifi calling should work. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204051

View attachment 48669

Thx will try that

I believe some carriers and/or phones require uPNP for wifi calling, so check and make sure that is enabled and re-test. Network reset shouldn't be needed if it was working fine before, and other data is working.

Note that you want to do the factory reset AFTER upgrading firmware, not sure if that's what you did.

I believe some carriers and/or phones require uPNP for wifi calling, so check and make sure that is enabled and re-test. Network reset shouldn't be needed if it was working fine before, and other data is working.

Note that you want to do the factory reset AFTER upgrading firmware, not sure if that's what you did.

Just like port forwarding uPnP is a security risk. I’d do the network reset first before using upnp because as far as I’m aware it’s not needed. NAT passthrough should be sufficient.

Used to be a former apple technical support agent four years ago. Thing might’ve changed but doubt it.

A968953B-644F-442B-92ED-F01969124C18.jpeg

Wifi calling not working since the move to Merlin on my ac 5300. Any suggestions?
Go to WAN-->Nat passthrough make sure ipsec passthrough is enabled. WIFI calling doesn't get triggered when your phone service has a strong signal, it turns on at a certain threshold. To test wifi calling put your phone in airplane mode with wifi on.

iPhone's WiFi calling uses an ipsec tunnel to the operators VoLTE/IMS core...

Doesn't need uPNP for iPhone, as there is no open ports needed (because the mobile sets up the tunnel to the core, not the other way).

Some routers will benefit from VPN pass thru for ipsec (l2tp), and VoLTE is ipv6 first, ipv6 native.

Yes did the factory reset after updating to Merlin

Please describe how VOIP is not working over WiFi. What are the symptoms?

I just upgraded to 386.10 on my AC-5300. Wi-FI Calling still works on all my iPhones and Mac's. My mobile provider is T-Mobile. I was avoiding the upgrade to 386.10 due to the already discussed ICMP issues with versions of Merlin after 386.3_2. I upgraded just to test this issue. If the ICMP issues still occur, I will revert.

I just upgraded to 386.10 on my AC-5300. Wi-FI Calling still works on all my iPhones and Mac's. My mobile provider is T-Mobile. I was avoiding the upgrade to 386.10 due to the already discussed ICMP issues with versions of Merlin after 386.3_2. I upgraded just to test this issue. If the ICMP issues still occur, I will revert.
working now thx all.

Given your info should I revert back to older version!?? I have noticed lower speeds since the update to 386.10

working now thx all.

Given your info should I revert back to older version!?? I have noticed lower speeds since the update to 386.10
I wouldn't revert back to 386.3_2 unless you have the ICMP issues. Lower speeds is not a symptom of the issue. If you have the ICMP issue, the symptoms are clients losing IPv6 configuration and/or clients not able to ping each other through IPv4 or IPv6 after the router is up for a couple of days especially traffic between hardwired clients and wifi clients. The issue may cause communication issues between clients depending on what they need to do. I will report back here in a couple of days if I need to revet back.

iPhone's WiFi calling uses an ipsec tunnel to the operators VoLTE/IMS core...

Doesn't need uPNP for iPhone, as there is no open ports needed (because the mobile sets up the tunnel to the core, not the other way).

Some routers will benefit from VPN pass thru for ipsec (l2tp), and VoLTE is ipv6 first, ipv6 native.

Yeah I have no familiarity with iphone's implementation. I think 99.9% of phones/carriers now will work fine with no uPNP, was just something to try. Sounds like they got it figured out by enabling VPN passthrough, makes sense if that's what iphone uses. The uPNP / port forwarding was for old implementations mostly.

working now thx all.

What speeds are lower, and by how much? You may just need to go in and disable universal beamforming and make sure airtime fairness is also disabled. Could be that the router grabbed a different channel too. If you do go back, I'd stick with 386.7_2, that has been working great for me for a long time now. Likely some setting you had changed previously you didn't change this time is my guess, and it isn't the firmware.

Just like port forwarding uPnP is a security risk. I’d do the network reset first before using upnp because as far as I’m aware it’s not needed. NAT passthrough should be sufficient.

Used to be a former apple technical support agent four years ago. Thing might’ve changed but doubt it.

Yeah upnp was just a test to see if it was possibly part of the issue. If so it should be replaced with static port forwards. But wasn't the issue here.

Network reset also isn't needed, at most forgetting the wifi network and re-joining it but if his data is working fine otherwise, it isn't anything to do with the wifi on the phone. I mean it can't hurt but you have to re-pair bluetooth, re-add all wifi networks, etc.

Yeah upnp was just a test to see if it was possibly part of the issue. If so it should be replaced with static port forwards. But wasn't the issue here.

Network reset also isn't needed, at most forgetting the wifi network and re-joining it but if his data is working fine otherwise, it isn't anything to do with the wifi on the phone. I mean it can't hurt but you have to re-pair bluetooth, re-add all wifi networks, etc.

Sometimes a reboot of your phone can be enough. But honestly well annoying to reconnect to your devices it does reset a number of things such as wifi calling and is a typical go to support step from Apple. If this was an Apple support call I would have attempted 6 things.

-Verify if they can make calls or text over cellular. And if wifi works.

-Toggle wifi calling, reboot device, modem, router.

-Network reset on iPhone

-Offer them to attempt wifi calling on another network.

-Give options to refer to isp or router manufacturer or carrier depending on likely cause.

-If call returns to us backup data and Full reset of iPhone.

No bells and whistles to adjust on the iPhone beyond general on/off’s so beyond additional diagnostic reports from the phone to see if components are functioning it’d be beyond scope normally from Apple.

Router wise number of things can cause wifi to stop working if NAT passthrough wasn’t working but personally I’d troubleshoot it similar verify, research, narrow down issue, resolve, refer or reset/downgrade/upgrade.

Firewall could be a possible issue such as skynet set to geoblock a country or associated ASN to Apple or a data center that caused a false flag and was blocked either via malware lists or by a user; this could cause similar issues. I only say that knowing the issue involves a Asus Merlin router though.

But yeah Upnp would have been something to attempt although not something I’ve heard required before. But I agree least evasive steps first to preserve data, and time.

Anyways glad he got it working.

Last edited: