What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here is a test in Swedish biggest PC magazine, use the translate in Google for English.

pege63, thanks for the link.

Interestingly, the Lyra review states one of the 5 GHz channels is dedicated to backhaul. I wonder if the reviewer got that wrong, or if that region's firmware is different than the US version.

It also states that the guest network only uses the 2.4 GHz channel. That's news to me.

Interesting. Was thinking of getting the Eero but it seems like Orbis have been winning in terms of speed, firmware issue notwithstanding. Don't think it supports 802.11r either.

I know the general preference is for Router + multiple APs via an Ethernet backhaul where possible, and I do have that - but here's the twist - Ethernet backhaul is only capable of 100Base-Tx. I'm currently on a 1Gbps fibre connection, and I'm looking to maximise it. Should I go ahead with multiple APs on that limited Ethernet backhaul, or go the mesh route with the inherent limitations of a WiFi-based backhaul?

"Limited Ethernet backhaul" provides much more consistent and stable throughput that doesn't vary with distance.

Your 2x2 AC devices will max out at 500-600 Mbps, regardless of backhaul.

"Limited Ethernet backhaul" provides much more consistent and stable throughput that doesn't vary with distance.

Ah, yes - but that wireless backhaul would be fatter (so to speak) than that provided by Fast Ethernet, no?

Main concern is roaming, and yes I know that's more a client side function, but it seems like the UniFi UAPs only have a primitive form of 802.11r implemented compared to Eero's full implementation.

Ah, yes - but that wireless backhaul would be fatter (so to speak) than that provided by Fast Ethernet, no?
No. The highly inflated "speed" numbers quoted are based on peak throughput and are the total of both bands, which no device supports.

"Fast Ethernet" is 100 Mbps.

No. The highly inflated "speed" numbers quoted are based on peak throughput and are the total of both bands, which no device supports.

"Fast Ethernet" is 100 Mbps.

I think @pege63 is hinting at the eero's 3x3 implementation instead of 2x2, which could possibly mean 2 bonded channels may provide higher throughput.

I think @pege63 is hinting at the eero's 3x3 implementation instead of 2x2, which could possibly mean 2 bonded channels may provide higher throughput.
First, eero gen 2's radios are all 2x2. But is has two 5 GHz radios vs. gen 1's one.

Second, eero gen 1 can use Wi-Fi or Ethernet for backhaul, as can gen 2.

Finally, none of the radios can be "bonded". The third radio just provides another option for balancing backhaul and fronthaul demands.

First, eero gen 2's radios are all 2x2. But is has two 5 GHz radios vs. gen 1's one.

Second, eero gen 1 can use Wi-Fi or Ethernet for backhaul, as can gen 2.

Finally, none of the radios can be "bonded". The third radio just provides another option for balancing backhaul and fronthaul demands.
Does it also has this 5GHz backhaul between the both nodes "beacon"?

Last edited:
eero Beacon has no Ethernet port.

I know that, i wondered if the nodes spoke between each other on the *5GHz backhaul band or just the Router to nodes?

Router ---> *866Mbps < --- > Node 1 < --- > *866Mbps < --- > Node 2

And isnt N standard on 2.4GHz is 450 Mbps why do they all use 400 Mbps?

Last edited:
I know that, i wondered if the nodes spoke between each other on the *5GHz backhaul band or just the Router to nodes?

Router ---> *866Mbps < --- > Node 1 < --- > *866Mbps < --- > Node 2
Mesh systems, eero included, support node to node backhaul. So, yes, eero gen 1 and 2 operate as you have indicated. Extender type systems, like Orbi and D-Link's Covr, support only router to extender backhaul.

And isnt N standard on 2.4GHz is 450 Mbps why do they all use 400 Mbps?
The current crop of Wi-Fi systems use the Qualcomm IPQ4019 2x2 radio. It supports 256-QAM, which has a maximum link rate of 400 Mbps, using 40 MHz bandwidth. 450 Mbps is the maximum link rate for 3x3 N.

I understand the Orbi system is faster. But as for range the eero 3 router package takes the prize. As for a home that streams 4K and games the eero handles it just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OK ... so how to evaluate the benefits of a mesh system replacing a standard router with two hard-wired A/Ps in a large house? I know if it ain't broke... but I am not sure if the mesh category is better than my existing system.

Right now, I have a large house with an ASUS RT-AC88U in the center as the router and at each end of the house I have an RT-AC68U acting as A/Ps. All SSIDs are the same.

It works perfectly with no noticeable weak areas and no hand-off issues.

Is a mesh system better than that?

Thx.

This is also the question I have. Some of you have helped me tinker with my two dual band Asus routers (one (RT-N66U) functioning as an AP connected by ethernet cable from one side of the house to the other router (RT-AC56U) connected to the modem).

The big issue that I was never able to resolve was the sticky client issue. I tried many combinations of single SSID, SSID per router/AP, individual SSIDs for each radio, and ended up using individual SSIDs for each radio... simply because of having sticky clients. Ergo, I have to manually connect to the best radio when I move around the house.

It seems to me the mesh system might prevent that issue. Or does it? How does a mesh network handle sticky clients?

I cannot be the only person on this forum with both Android and iOS client devices... and all share a similar sticky-ness in my experience.

The big issue that I was never able to resolve was the sticky client issue. I tried many combinations of single SSID, SSID per router/AP, individual SSIDs for each radio, and ended up using individual SSIDs for each radio... simply because of having sticky clients. Ergo, I have to manually connect to the best radio when I move around the house.

It seems to me the mesh system might prevent that issue. Or does it? How does a mesh network handle sticky clients?
This has been discussed many times. Roaming decisions are made by client devices, not routers, access points or mesh points. APs and router can "encourage" clients to move and provide assistance. But the decision is always up to the client.

That said, Wi-Fi Systems are designed to operate as systems, while mash-ups of routers-converted-to-APs are not. Consult the Wi-Fi System Finder to see which systems have roaming assistance.

Check this thread to read up on sticky clients.

Thanks Tim. I didn't specifically see anything pertinent to Mesh vs router mashups as regards sticky clients, and since I don't deal with this stuff every day like some of you do, it's easy to get lost in the details.

But I infer from your post above that some Mesh systems offer roaming assistance, which I assume means it helps deal with sticky clients?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!