What's new

Wifi 6 supported in TVs/BlueRay players etc?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
I am getting ready to finally bite the bullet and get a smart tv Samsung Q90?, and new bluray player as they are 10 years old.
Since many streaming companies are offering up to 4k, do these TVs and players use AX wifi? Or are they still AC hardware.
I am going to get a new router, up from my Archer C7 too.
Modem is a MR 6183, probably not up to snuff for many potential AX speeds.
Thoughts?

AFAIK even the latest and greatest smart TVs still use wifi 5 (802.11ac) and this is more than capable of giving you 4K streaming wirelessly, provided your internet connection speeds are fast enough and wifi signal is suitable. However you can 'upgrade' your TV/device to wifi 6 by using a wifi 6 router/AP and putting into 'wireless bridge' mode (Netgear terminology) or 'Media bridge' mode (Asus terminology) and then connecting your TV to the router/AP by ethernet. I've done this upgrade but to save money, I bought an Asus Blue Cave router (4x4 wifi 5) for $80 and using it in 'media bridge' mode.

4K compressed stream is about 40Mbps or less. A client with 1x1 AC can do >200Mbps. AX is only extra cost for the manufacturers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!