What's new

WiFi 7 has been certified.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That link doesn't say WiFi 7 has been certified.

I wonder if that will be too late for the iPhone 16 next year? I was thinking about buying a new iPhone but I was going to wait and not buy the 15 hoping to get better WI-Fi support in later hardware.
In the past, Apple has gone slow in bringing new Wi-Fi standards into its products.
I really don't know what practical benefit you'd get from 7 in a phone.

The technical specifications of 802.11be are essentially complete, allowing for the Wifi 7 hardware certification program. The final IEEE ratification is just a formality at this point.

Not to me.

As has been proven with each new standard over the last ten years or so.

Gen 2 or later devices are always superior. One reason because they are actually formally certified, not with a wink and a smile.

The technical specifications of 802.11be are essentially complete

Yes, this is perhaps why we had AC Wave 1 and AC Wave 2, then AX 1st Gen and AX 2nd Gen with different hardware.

Call me when BE 2nd Gen arrives and available Wi-Fi 7 clients are something different than phones and tablets. 🫡

MLO for starters, for those of us who work from our phones.

My iPhone connects at 1200Mbps link speed, or about 800Mbps possible throughput. What work on your phone requires faster speeds? Just curious.

The 802.11 TGs have changed a lot since the AC days. The 802.11be Task Group is led by people from Qualcomm, Intel, and Broadcom. These guys know what they are doing. The cycles are much quicker and Wifi 8 is already under development.

My iPhone connects at 1200Mbps link speed, or about 800Mbps possible throughput. What work on your phone requires faster speeds? Just curious.
Financial industry. It’s not about speed. I’m looking at the latency and reliability provided by MLO.

I'm sorry, but my wireless devices stay connected forever. Reliability was never an issue. How many milliseconds latency improvement will make your work better on a phone? Human reaction time is about 250ms. What practical difference it makes if your financial data arrive 10ms later? Your brain can't register it so fast. You have AX multiband in theory. Why don't you use it? It's in AX specifications.

I'm sorry, but my wireless devices stay connected forever. Reliability was never an issue. How many milliseconds latency improvement will make your work better on a phone? Human reaction time is about 250ms. What practical difference it makes if your financial data arrive 10ms later? Your brain can't register it so fast. You have AX multiband in theory. Why don't you use it? It's in AX specifications.
I live in a condo building with congested wifi. I’ve also had occasional signal disruptions on the 5Ghz band. It’s why I was an early adopter for 6Ghz and it’s been great for me.

Great that your wifi is so reliable. Not everyone is so lucky. But assuming that your situation applies to everyone else is condescending and rude.

I also own a condo apartment. I have a Synology home router there. Reliability was never an issue with 10+ visible 5GHz networks around down to -80dBm. 5GHz communications are relatively short range. I get consistently 300-400Mbps speeds and no dropouts. You perhaps need more reliable router or AP working better in your environment. Ask me now why I use AC-class Synology and my Asus AX-class router is sitting on the shelf. This is not rude. This is the reality.

@Tech9 You seem to be moving back to old behavior that has earned you temporary bans in the past. Stick to discussing facts and not editorializing on others' choices.

@Jansen3 The only benefit to releasing routers with pre-release standard hardware and firmware is to networking companies' bottom lines. Each new technology, MIMO, MU-MIMO, OFDMA and now MLO has been over-hyped and under-delivered.

Perhaps someday MLO will deliver the benefits you cite. But not in the first generation for sure. I would hate to be the engineers developing the AP schedulers. MLO adds another set of decisions to make about how and when to send a packet.

@Jansen3 The only benefit to releasing routers with pre-release standard hardware and firmware is to networking companies' bottom lines. Each new technology, MIMO, MU-MIMO, OFDMA and now MLO has been over-hyped and under-delivered.

Perhaps someday MLO will deliver the benefits you cite. But not in the first generation for sure. I would hate to be the engineers developing the AP schedulers. MLO adds another set of decisions to make about how and when to send a packet.
And right there is the reason I'll sit waiting for the second generation this time.

Stick to discussing facts and not editorializing on others' choices.

Understood, but you know things Wi-Fi and share your personal experience - can you tell the difference between Wi-Fi-5 and Wi-Fi 6 connection on your phone or tablet? I can't and perhaps I have to look in settings even if the connection is Wi-Fi 4. Every time I see "Got a new phone, looking for a new router" I ask the same questions and no one so far could give me a convincing reason why the next Wi-Fi standard is better on such devices. Sometimes others choices are based on unrealistic expectations and folks overpay for no reason. This is something @sfx2000 is commenting quite often and no one pays attention. He knows Wi-Fi quite well too. The reality is this exactly:

Each new technology, MIMO, MU-MIMO, OFDMA and now MLO has been over-hyped and under-delivered.

For some time I'm trying to test how Wi-Fi 6 Agile Multiband works. Something needed for it is always missing and Enabled/Disabled on a home router or business class AP makes no real life difference whatsoever. Apparently I have zero Wi-Fi 6 devices compatible with this thing, part of Wi-Fi 6 specifications. I also noticed enabling OFDMA in Wi-Fi 6 actually reduces the throughput. Has to be measured though, not obvious for the user. Tested with simultaneous transfers to Wi-Fi 6 clients, the same type or different. About 10-20MB/sec slower with OFDMA enabled in all cases. What is this technology helping with in real life and is it actually supported by the clients - no idea.

Last edited:
And right there is the reason I'll sit waiting for the second generation this time.

I would wait until I have some clients with potential Wi-Fi 7 benefits. At the moment I see no much improvement after replacing my APs from Wi-Fi 5 to Wi-Fi 6. I used to get up to 60-70MB/sec to wireless AC clients, now I'm getting around 80-90MB/sec to AX clients. I don't push for 160MHz wide, close airport. Real life difference - none.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!