What's new

WiFi AP with Mesh Setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MJW75

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. I have an Asus AI mesh setup at home which works well. We are going to be building a small structure at the end of our garden (about 30m from the house) and as Asus don’t do an outdoor Mesh node I’d like an outdoor access point to serve this building. I just wanted to check if an AP would play nice with the mesh setup. I plan to used the same SSID.

Additionally, if anyone can recommend a good AP with POE (which is available in the UK), it would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you used a point-to-point setup (Microtik comes to mind) it would provide a LAN connection to the structure which may prove to be of value for a mesh node. If not, then certainly to an AP there.

If you used a point-to-point setup (Microtik comes to mind) it would provide a LAN connection to the structure which may prove to be of value for a mesh node. If not, then certainly to an AP there.
Thanks. I don’t need point to point - there won’t be power at the other end anyway.

30 meters plus at least two exterior walls ought to be doable with just about anything, but if the outlying unit is using the same RF as both feed and fed, the throughput will be half on a good day.

If possible, it'd be best to "knife in" an ethernet cable to the structure. Below sod level and unprotected would be cheap and easy, and would most likely remain viable for many seasons.

Though if you've got no power out there you'd need to send the wired signal to such as an AP (tplink, et. al.) using power over ethernet.

30 meters plus at least two exterior walls ought to be doable with just about anything, but if the outlying unit is using the same RF as both feed and fed, the throughput will be half on a good day.

If possible, it'd be best to "knife in" an ethernet cable to the structure. Below sod level and unprotected would be cheap and easy, and would most likely remain viable for many seasons.
The issue I have is I’m in the UK and live in a 120 year old house with 12” thick solid brick walls. I can just about get a signal at where I need it already but it regularly drops out, so it is far from reliable. I think an AP outside on the back wall of the house will likely do the job well.

I have plenty of Cat6a cable I could run down there, but the edges of the garden have flower/plant boarders which are regularly being dug by my wife (she’ll find a way to break it!). It could be an option though if the signal still isn’t great.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!