What's new

Plan to extend WiFi 150’ for 1 Ring camera

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdebord

Occasional Visitor
Hello -

I’ve read several posts on this topic, but wanted to get an opinion on the TP Link EAP225 outdoor AP. With a 150’ distance and clean line of sight from my house to the camera, I’m wondering if this would be a better solution than a pure directional point to point solution. I’m guessing that I’ll still probably need 2 of them since the camera will need the boost to transmit data back , but the mesh back haul would eliminate the need for another AP behind the client of a PTP setup I think.

Trenching a cable isn’t easy due to driveway, sidewalk, and road. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas on if this plan makes sense (or not).

Use a garden hose with a water stream to go under a sidewalk or driveway.
It is not legal to cross a road with wire or fiber. You need a permit.

Hello -

I’ve read several posts on this topic, but wanted to get an opinion on the TP Link EAP225 outdoor AP. With a 150’ distance and clean line of sight from my house to the camera, I’m wondering if this would be a better solution than a pure directional point to point solution. I’m guessing that I’ll still probably need 2 of them since the camera will need the boost to transmit data back , but the mesh back haul would eliminate the need for another AP behind the client of a PTP setup I think.

Trenching a cable isn’t easy due to driveway, sidewalk, and road. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas on if this plan makes sense (or not).

A single directional outdoor AP should do it fine, just make sure it is a standard wifi AP and not a proprietary one that needs to be run in pairs.

A directional AP will boost both the transmit signal and the receive sensitivity. Heck at that distance an omnidirectional one will probably be fine, especially on 2.4ghz if there isnt a ton of congestion.

The camera is probably 2.4ghz N and you can get an outdoor directional N150 AP cheap.

Something like the link below then. I’ve never heard of the brand, but wiring it up at the house and pointing it at the camera should get the job done?

Tenda O1 Outdoor Access Point N300 Mbps, Long Range Smart Manage Outdoor CPE 2.4GHz, Wireless Bridge 8 dBi Transmission 500m, Passive PoE Powered, AP|Station|WISP|IP65 Waterproof Enclosure, O1(White) https://a.co/d/hLuRNDa

Saves me time and money…thanks!

Something like the link below then. I’ve never heard of the brand, but wiring it up at the house and pointing it at the camera should get the job done?

Tenda O1 Outdoor Access Point N300 Mbps, Long Range Smart Manage Outdoor CPE 2.4GHz, Wireless Bridge 8 dBi Transmission 500m, Passive PoE Powered, AP|Station|WISP|IP65 Waterproof Enclosure, O1(White) https://a.co/d/hLuRNDa

This is probably the better route with a trusted brand:

Ubiquiti NanoStation locoM2 2.4GHz Indoor/Outdoor airMax 8dBi CPE https://a.co/d/5pWV9ru

This is probably the better route with a trusted brand:

Ubiquiti NanoStation locoM2 2.4GHz Indoor/Outdoor airMax 8dBi CPE https://a.co/d/5pWV9ru

Airmax is not compatible with normal wifi and the loco only supports airmax. That's why I said be careful to get a standard wifi one.

I have no experience with that brand but have heard of it a few times. You can check the reviews (and also run them through fakespot). Worst case, you have 30 days to return it.

Tp link, trendnet, and engenius are inexpensive and a bit more well known but may very well work exactly the same as Tenda, who knows. Ubiquiti does have an outdoor omnidirectional one that is going to be higher quality generally but a bit more hassle to set up with special software. Plus the Omni isn't ideal for your scenario.

TP Link also has a omada Omni outdoor for 35 on Amazon right now including POE injector. If having coverage in all directions outside is desirable that may be a good option. 150 feet line of sight is no problem for an onmi AP *if* the 2.4ghz spectrum isn't heavily saturated (or high interference) in your area. Also depends how much bandwidth the camera needs but usually they are pretty low.

Whichever one you get, see if it includes a POE injector and if not, order one of those too, just look at what wattage it needs, they're usually pretty cheap.

Yeah, if you want to go with ubiquiti's airmax gear you will need two of them, one at each end. Having said that, they absolutely will work --- I had a great experience with a couple of nanoBeam units --- whereas it's a bit less clear if this no-name AP will get the job done.

Yeah, if you want to go with ubiquiti's airmax gear you will need two of them, one at each end. Having said that, they absolutely will work --- I had a great experience with a couple of nanoBeam units --- whereas it's a bit less clear if this no-name AP will get the job done.

If you have the money ($150ish or so with POE injectors) and the camera has an RJ45 port, it would certainly be the most bulletproof solution. Possibly a bit overkill though.

Their older airmax units let you disable airmax and just use a single one for standard wifi, don't know why they ditched that.

Just looked at that one and the reviews are pretty bad. Honestly this Omni (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG3YRTR/?tag=snbforums-20) may be your best bet, plus it will give you coverage outside for other devices too. Just keep in mind the antennas are 5dbi medium gain, which means the signal projects at a 20 degree angle up and down from the midpoint of the antenna. Not terribly narrow but not wide either, so if you mount it up high, things close to it may actually have poor signal. Things further away will be less sensitive to height.

Looks like a lot of the directional 2.4ghz ones have been phased out and what is left from reputable brands are fairly expensive. Personally for $35 I'd give that one I linked a try, can always return it if it doesn't do what you need.

If you want a pretty surefire/bulletproof solution then two of Ubiquiti LocoM5 and two power injectors will give you almost as reliable as a wired connection, and no worries of 2.4ghz interference. Spend some time getting them aimed (they give you a signal meter to help) and tighten them well and forget about them. Just keep in mind they will not give you signal for anything else, unless you plug in a regular AP also. This of course assumes your camera has an RJ45 port and isn't wifi only? That would be required for this setup. Depending on where you want to mount them, you may need a couple adjustable mounts for them too.

Last edited:
Just looked at that one and the reviews are pretty bad. Honestly this Omni (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG3YRTR/?tag=snbforums-20) may be your best bet, plus it will give you coverage outside for other devices too. Just keep in mind the antennas are 5dbi medium gain, which means the signal projects at a 20 degree angle up and down from the midpoint of the antenna. Not terribly narrow but not wide either, so if you mount it up high, things close to it may actually have poor signal. Things further away will be less sensitive to height.

Looks like a lot of the directional 2.4ghz ones have been phased out and what is left from reputable brands are fairly expensive. Personally for $35 I'd give that one I linked a try, can always return it if it doesn't do what you need.

If you want a pretty surefire/bulletproof solution then two of Ubiquiti LocoM5 and two power injectors will give you almost as reliable as a wired connection, and no worries of 2.4ghz interference. Spend some time getting them aimed (they give you a signal meter to help) and tighten them well and forget about them. Just keep in mind they will not give you signal for anything else, unless you plug in a regular AP also. This of course assumes your camera has an RJ45 port and isn't wifi only? That would be required for this setup. Depending on where you want to mount them, you may need a couple adjustable mounts for them too.
Yep - this is the one I referenced in my OP…just wasn’t sure about using omni.

Their older airmax units let you disable airmax and just use a single one for standard wifi, don't know why they ditched that.

FWIW, the nanoBeam units I had still had an option to disable airMAX mode with current firmware. I never experimented with that mode, and no longer have the gear so I can't be sure what the option did.

Yep - this is the one I referenced in my OP…just wasn’t sure about using omni.

oops didn't even see you mentioned that one. I'm sure it would work fine. The CPE210 will work well also, (probably a bit better), just have to put it in AP mode. But obviously not to serve stuff not in the same direction as the camera. So just depends what you need. If only the camera, probably the CPE210. Looks like its $40 ish various places including POE injector (amazon is out of stock and I never like their third parties, but microcenter, newegg, and others have it).

The only possible catch is if there is a ton of 2.4ghz in your area but honestly with a directional AP like that one, it would probably overcome it pretty well.

FWIW, the nanoBeam units I had still had an option to disable airMAX mode with current firmware. I never experimented with that mode, and no longer have the gear so I can't be sure what the option did.

Prior to the loco you could run them as standard wifi. You lost some distance and throughput. But the locos removed that option, they are airmax only. Strange decision but I guess they wanted to ensure people had to buy 2.

Hello -

For that long distance, a wireless bridge kit should be an easy solution to avoid cabling jobs! If you like, you can DM me for a price code for UeeVii device, Thanks!

I tend to agree - as long as it's private property, one can run wires as needed - I think what @coxhaus was referring to is to get underneath a driveway, a garden hose is a safe bet...

Going under a public road - again, as he mentions, this usually does require a permit.

For that long distance, a wireless bridge kit should be an easy solution to avoid cabling jobs! If you like, you can DM me for a price code for UeeVii device, Thanks!

150 feet clear line of sight is not a long distance.

So your suggesting they use one of your several hundred dollar setups when a $35 to $40 single device will work fine? Honestly all you do is come in here and post "use one of our kits". If you're not a forum sponsor and aren't going to contribute anything other than that, would be better to just stay silent. At the very least qualify what the person is looking to do and only spam the thread when your product is actually the right one to use. Considering much more tried and true versions from other companies are cheaper than yours, you're facing an uphill battle.

Shop vac with a section of sprinkler hose (semi-rigid stuff for in ground sprinkler systems) actually works a lot better (a lot less messy too). Then you just leave it there and run the wire through it. Obviously you can only do this on your own property (though I've done it under a public sidewalk to get water from a neighbors property to the small grass strip/tree on the other side of the sidewalk).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!