What's new

Will Switch pass VLAN tag assigned to traffic by the AP on to Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So before we completely drop this I would like to know about DHCP. So if the dumb switch is passing tags then it should be able pass multiple networks. My original statement says all ports on a dumb switch will all be in 1 network. That network will be assigned based on VLAN port IP port assignment. The VLAN tag is assigned for all ports of the dumb switch when they pass thru the VLAN port switch.

I think a dumb switch will not be able to stand up to DHCP working correctly in a VLAN network. The only way a dumb switch will function is being on the outside network where all tags are assign upon entering a VLAN switch. It makes no sense to me that a dumb switch can pass tags. If it does then it should be able to support multiple DHCP networks. I always assign an IP network to every VLAN. If a dumb switch does not assign a tag how does DHCP know what network to assign to the device?

So tell me am I still wrong.

DHCP is layer 3 - unmanaged switches only work at Layer 2...

I agree but the VLAN tags carry what network for DHCP to assign an IP address. Remember I always assign IP networks to VLANs. I work at layer 3. It seems simpler for me.

They don't really carry the network information. The tags are associated with a network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!