What's new

Win 10 can't find network shares

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Copper

New Around Here
I have a lan of 2 Win 10 PCs.

If I type \\Htpc\!htpc in the address bar of a file explorer the remote share instantly shows up.
When clicking on the Network icon the remote shares used to pop up instantly.
But not anymore.

Now the PC I'm typing this message on shows under Computer.
The HTPC shows up under Media devices.

I checked network settings on the PC with the problems and network discovery was turned off (not by me).
I turned them on but Windows turned them off again. Eventually they stayed turned on.
For testing purposes I turned of the fire walls on both PCs. and turned of password protected sharing on both PCs.

I can successfully ping the HTPC/192.168.1.65 <1ms
But when i enter 192.168.1.65 in a browser I get: 192.168.1.65 refused to connect.

BTW on HTPC all the shares show up instantly.

What's going on?

Did you make sure that your connection is Private not Public and you are not using a VPN.

Did you make sure that your connection is Private not Public and you are not using a VPN.
On my HTPC: Network: Private Network, Access type: Internet, Connections Ethernet.

On my main PC: Network: Public Network, Access type: Internet, Connections Ethernet.

So it's Public. I'm going to change that when I get home from work. I wonder how that got changed.
About your VPN question: To my best knowledge, no. I have Private Internet Access installed for years. But it doesn't matter if it's on or off.

Last edited:
Setting 1 and 3 of that option were on. I tried with all 3 on, no luck.
Yes it would be check box 2 that would need to be enabled on the client PC.

What is the operating system of the HTPC? What network file system is the HTPC using, CIFS/Samba?

Check this, Windows latest PITA trick: ( got caught with this here )

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Add/Remove Features > go to the SMB shares entries and look for " SMB 1.0/CFS Automatic Removal "

this removes the SMB1 and fubars your network. Deselect and network locations reappear .

smb-remove.png

Last edited: