What's new

Win 10 fails to do a system image backup on a HDD connected to Netgear R7800 (Error 0x80070570)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sachb

Ok, so guys I have never created a full system image over Networked Attached Storage, so this is the issue I'm facing whenever I start doing a backup, as soon as it reaches C:/ it gives me this error below. I have performed CHKDSK command on both the internal and the external HDD.
The system image backup works (100%) when I directly connect my HDD to the Laptop.
Tried some suggestions from Google, but none worked. I hope I find a solution here. This is gonna be my last resort.

1644857078682.png

You're trying to create a Windows Full System Image from your laptop or desktop to a NAS? Which NAS?

From a wired or wireless client device?

How are you directly connecting it to your laptop? Ethernet? USB?

What format type is the external drive (not a NAS) in? Have you tested with different formats?

Any more information you can give will be welcome. :)

I suggest you use Macrium Reflect v8 for this work instead. (Although I don't think it will work any better with a USB attached drive to your router, it may).

You're trying to create a Windows Full System Image from your laptop or desktop to a NAS? Which NAS?

From a wired or wireless client device?

How are you directly connecting it to your laptop? Ethernet? USB?

What format type is the external drive (not a NAS) in? Have you tested with different formats?

Any more information you can give will be welcome. :)

I suggest you use Macrium Reflect v8 for this work instead. (Although I don't think it will work any better with a USB attached drive to your router, it may).
I tried both wired and wireless, both give the same error. Wired as in connected my laptop to the router via ethernet, and wireless as in connected the laptop via the built-in wifi chip in my laptop. The HDD is connected to the Netgear R7800 router through USB 3.0 port.

The External drive which is connected to the Netgear router (R7800) is formatted in NTFS.

If trying a different backup method (such as Macrium Reflect) produces the same issues, then you may have to give up on these connection methods as a way to create a system image to a USB drive over the network.

Either use/test with a real NAS, or simply directly connect the drive when needed. And, if it is used as the only backup destination, I wouldn't have it connected to the network (at all).

If trying a different backup method (such as Macrium Reflect) produces the same issues, then you may have to give up on these connection methods as a way to create a system image to a USB drive over the network.

Either use/test with a real NAS, or simply directly connect the drive when needed. And, if it is used as the only backup destination, I wouldn't have it connected to the network (at all).
Ok, i'll try this app, but does this app create the full system image which can be restored through windows system repair disk?

The issue is most likely due to the way it works (no real direct access to the storage) how a VHD is created and filled.
For a NAS (or other share types) this usually works:

wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\IP_Of_NAS\Sharename\StoreFolder -include:C:\* -vsscopy -noVerify -quiet

Before this you do a net use .... to a drive letter but do NOT use the drive letter, this simply allows access via the UNC share path.

Nb. this also works via ssh and routed 445 to a remote site. Though doing that would be better with rsync.

Last edited:
The issue is most likely due to the way it works (no real direct access to the storage) how a VHD is created and filled.

wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\IP_Of_NAS\Sharename\StoreFolder -include:C:\* -vsscopy -noVerify -quiet

Before this you do a net use .... to a drive letter but do NOT use the drive letter, this simply allows access via the UNC share path.

Nb. this also works via ssh and routed 445 to a remote site. Though doing that would be better with rsync.
Is this a command I have to enter on a Command prompt?

Yes or combine them all in one .cmd file and run it as admin.
Ok, so I tried plugging the same HDD into a different Router, and guess what the Backup went through with success. The other router is ASUS AC-86U.
The one I'm trying to backup through is my main router (Netgear R7800), can it be because of the different samba versions both the routers use?

Last edited:

Tried your suggestion, but when entering "wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\192.168.1.1\Buffalo HDD\StoreFolder -include:C:\* -vsscopy -noVerify -quiet" without the quotes, I get Sysntax error: HDD\Storefolder

Do you actually have a share named "Buffalo HDD\StoreFolder"?
If you browse with File Explorer to \\192.168.1.1 what shares do you see, do those names match with what you expect?

You generally need to enclose the full path name containing spaces with double-quotes. (assuming by now you have figured this out anyway).

I just gave up on Win7 backup and restore and installed a third party backup software as the Win7 software is depricated. Worked well on Win7 but broke when Win8 came in. Also Netgear has stricter ways to communicate with Samba.