What's new

Windows 10 VPN adapter "Privacy statement"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deepcuts

Regular Contributor
I guess boredom made me focus today on the Privacy statement link found on any VPN adapter in Windows 10.
I am talking about the adapters found at Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
The link in question is this:

upload_2020-4-14_12-13-41.png

Reading that web page, I could not find anything regarding VPN.
Any clue why Microsoft feels the need to put that statement on a VPN connection?

Last edited:
You get the same sort of privacy notice with Windows 7 (can't be bothered to check Windows 10 right now).

If you follow the Windows 7 link and then select the "Supplement" tab it includes this:
Remote Access Connections

What this feature does

A Remote Access Connections component, Dial-up Networking, allows you to access the Internet using a dial-up modem or broadband technology, such as a cable modem or a digital subscriber line (DSL). It also allows you to connect to private networks using a virtual private network (VPN) connection and Remote Access Service (RAS). RAS is a component that connects a client computer (typically your computer) to a host computer (also known as a remote access server) using industry standard protocols. VPN technologies allow users to connect to a private network, such as a corporate network, over the Internet.

Dial-up Networking includes dialer components such as RAS Client, Connection Manager, and RAS Phone, as well as command-line dialers like rasdial.

Information collected, processed, or transmitted
The dialer components collect information from your computer such as your user name, password, and domain name. This information is sent to the system that you are attempting to connect with. No information is sent to Microsoft. To help protect your privacy and the security of your computer, security-related information such as your user name and password are encrypted and stored on your computer.

Use of information
Dialer information is used to help your computer connect to the Internet. No information is sent to Microsoft.

Choice and control
For non-command-line dialers, you can choose to save your password by checking Save this user name and password, and can clear that option at any time to delete the previously saved password from the dialer. Since this option is turned off by default, you might be prompted to provide your password to connect to the Internet or a network. For command-line dialers like rasdial, there is no option to save your password.