What's new

Wired router buying advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

compmachine

New Around Here
Hello,

I have Asus RT-AC86U and I want to move it to bedroom for better WiFi coverage. To do that I need to replace it with wired router and set it to AP mode. My ISP is 1Gb/s symmetric (up to 850Mb/s in real) over Gigabit Ethernet connector located at entry door. This is also place from which 4 ethernet cables cat 6 go to rooms (2x to living room, 1 to bedroom and 1 to office). Most of network devices are in my home office.

I have several services exposed externally, like VPN, TOR, Home Assistant on Intel NUC. I also have 2 HDDs plugged to router.

By looking on what's popular on the market, I noticed Mikrotik RB750r2 and RB750Gr3. Would you recommend getting one of them or something else?

Attachments

• model.png
    model.png
    10 KB · Views: 69
Then get another Asus router and set it as the Primary AiMesh router. The Asus RT-AC86U set it as AiMesh node.
The RT-AX86U PRO would be a good choice because of the 2.5G port.

There's a $50 router on Amazon.

Since you're prewired you could just get an AP and stick it in a more central location and cover more space and add AX to the mix for about $150.

Thanks for your responses, I decided to choose budget option and buy Mikrotik hex (RB750Gr3) and turn my AC86U into AP. I was suprised to find out that WAN speed increased but some features from AsusWRT are missing in RouterOS.

This seems impossible. Search and you will find them.
i second this. RouterOS may not be the most transparant GUI but i can hardly imagine that is has less features than AsusWRT.

So far I failed to configure DoH/DoT despite trying many things and from what I read other people report issues with it too. Both UI and console expose settings irrelevant to this router, there is no way to disable LEDs and beeper but I can live with that.

Last edited: