What's new

Something to place in-between modem and router for traffic stats?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

Using a UDM Pro and the Traffic stats are just useless. Looking for something like vnstat day/month/year and possibly current live usage in a web-gui. Currently using pfsense in bridge mode but its been giving weird issues lately and its a bit of a waste.

I've tried using OpenWRT but only way I've been able to get stats to work is DoubleNAT.

Are there any managed switches that I can run some form of vnstat on?

Thanks!

Bump in the Wire approach might fit here...

Author there was one of the architects for Google Fiber...
Thats interesting, but from what I gather thats just QoS? I don't need QoS. Bufferbloat is min for me except when ISP is having congestion issues. QoSing 1.2gbps would bring down performance pretty bad depending on the router.

I'm just in process (awaiting hardware shipment) of switching over to pfsense for my router. A lot of people speak pretty highly of that, so I'm curious for more details about the problems you've had with it. Also, which pfsense version are you running, and on what hardware?

Currently using pfsense in bridge mode but its been giving weird issues lately and its a bit of a waste.

Something is wrong with your setup or hardware.

Something is wrong with your setup or hardware.
Setup is basic. NAT is disabled, firewall is disabled. Only thing it could be is the intel 2.5G nics. Before reboot bypassing pfsense issue is not there make wan go through pfsense latency shoots over 1000ms even pinging the modem is over 1000ms.

Setup is basic. NAT is disabled, firewall is disabled. Only thing it could be is the intel 2.5G nics. Before reboot bypassing pfsense issue is not there make wan go through pfsense latency shoots over 1000ms even pinging the modem is over 1000ms.
1000ms ping to a local machine sounds a whole lot like timeout-and-retransmit behavior. Maybe that's a hardware problem, but my money is on software bugs or configuration issues.
AFAIK there's not deep expertise on this website about pfsense problems. If you want to pursue that I'd suggest taking it to the forums at https://forum.netgate.com/

I run 1x home and 3x business networks on pfSense and Netgate appliances. The software is fine, perhaps 3rd party hardware compatibility is the issue.