What's new

Wireless Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

z0rk

New Around Here
I would like to provide internet and LAN access from a house to a mobile home that's less than 50 feet away. The mobile is in line-of-sight.
Devices in the mobile home should be on the same subnet as the LAN to be able to access file shares and media. Devices include: 4k TV, 2x mobile phones, 3x laptops and a workstation. I use an Asus RT-N66U (Tomato) in the house.
I am looking for recommendations of manufacturers and models that could provide a reliable, high performance wireless bridge. Build quality should be good and accommodate outdoor usage. I've tried two Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M5 and although the signal strength was good, throughput was weak. The 2.4Ghz signal from the Asus broadcast to the mobile was better (5Ghz was non-existent). I admit since this was the first time I've set up a wireless bridge, I might have done something wrong.
I am looking now at some other manufacturers and models:

I found the Ubiquite interface a bit cluttered when I worked with it last a year ago. The EnGenius one looks better organized. Are there other / better manufacturers / models to consider?

Anyway, I would really appreciate some feedback.

PS
If there's a way to homebrew this using open source software, I am listening.

Depending on orientation of windows in the trailer and house, you may need an external antenna at both locations to minimize signal loss and maximize throughput. A directional antenna should work best.
Do you have any neighbors that interfere on the 2.4 GHz band ?

Otherwise, your best bet might be a pre-terminated fiber optic run if you have overhead low voltage cabling (POTS for example) out to the trailer. You could also bury in a shallow trench. If power to the trailer is supplied from the house panel (no sub panel at the trailer area), consider either RG6 cable and MOCA2 or CAT5e or 6

Yes, it would have to be an outdoors antenna (directional); and I believe 5Ghz is better for throughput and interference.
The electrical is buried to the mobile; and I believe runs from the mobile to the pole that carries electrical to the main house. I've considered fiber, but there's a blacktop driveway between the mobile and house. It's all on private property. I have no idea how much it would cost to run fiber from the house to the mobile, but I imagine it's not cheap.

Powerbeams are extreme overkill for the application.

Use a pair of outdoor bridges like the EnGeniuses. Then install an access point or router converted to AP to rebroadcast the signal.

With Powerbeams you mean the dish type appliances with a high output for long distance coverage? If so, I am only considering those because they allow for high throughput (AC) with up to 800Mbps vs. 300Mbps for the EnGeniuses. You think this is overkill for sure?
I have one wireless router on one end running Tomato and I am planning to put another just like it on the other end. You're suggesting to run the second one in the mobile as a repeater so I retain being on the same LAN subnet to access local resources like fileshare, etc.?

Thanks

Yes, those powerbeams. They're made for really long-haul 10+-mile links.
A pair of EnStations will work fine.

I'm saying the bridge needs an access point on the far end. The bridge radios just connect to each other, not devices.

A pair of EnStations will work fine.

How about these: EnTurbo? Just a little bit cheaper, although not by much. The ones you suggested wouldn't break the bank.

I'm saying the bridge needs an access point on the far end. The bridge radios just connect to each other, not devices.

Roger that... with two routers on each end, I want any devices connected to either be able to communicate with each other across the bridge, so I assume the second router in the mobile would need to be part of the same subnet. Sorry I struggle with this. This may be where I failed last time.

The bridge I assume needs to be set to WDS Bridge Mode (not Client Bridge Mode)?

Thanks

Yes, the ENS500 will work. Follow the instructions for setup. Not all extenders/bridges work using WDS.

You want an AP at the far end, not a router. If you put a router there that is not converted to an access point, it will put devices connected to it on a different subnet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!