What's new

Wireless Distribution System vs Repeater Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SonyHome

Occasional Visitor
I have three RT-AC68U routers with 380.4118 firmware that I converted from TM-1900 to use to cover ~7000 sq. ft space. What is the difference between WDS and Repeater mode? Which is better for security, coverage and performance?

Also does using repeater mode and setting your network to hidden make it not hidden?

No one uses WDS or Repeater mode with these? Since I was more familiar with using these in Repeater mode (I used it with RT-N66U and TM-AC1900/RT-AC68U) I decided to go with that for now.

Everything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating
WDS, which stands for Wireless Distribution System, is a feature that enables single-radio APs to be wirelessly inconnected instead of using a wired Ethernet connection.

WDS connections are MAC address-based and employ a special data frame type that uses all four of the (MAC) address fields allowed in the 802.11 standard, instead of the three addresses used in normal AP <-> STA (client) traffic. (In the 802.11 frame header, address 1 is the destination address, address 2 is the source address, address 3 is the BSSID of the network and address 4 is used for WDS, to indicate the transmitter address.)

Two disadvantages to using WDS are :

Wireless throughput is cut approximately in half for each WDS repeating "hop", i.e. an AP that data flows through before hitting the wired network. This is because all transmissions use the same channel and radio and must be retransmitted to reach the wired LAN.

Dynamically assigned and rotated encryption keys are not supported in a WDS connection. This means that Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and other dynamic key assignment technology may not be used. Static WEP keys only may be used in a WDS connection, including any STAs that associate to a WDS repeating AP.