What's new

Wireless NAS device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dess2

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm a total noob in this realm, please bear with me. I'd like to set up a NAS in my office and connect it via wifi. I don't have access to the router.

Could you help me with finding a NAS device which will connect via wifi? Ideally a dual bay but price may dictate.

Thanks!

Some NASes support internal Wi-Fi cards. But a simpler solution is to use a wireless extender or bridge to connect to the router. Connect the wireless extender/bridge to the router's Wi-Fi, then connect the NAS Ethernet port to the Extender Ethernet port.

Check our Wireless Extender Rankings.

Thanks, that's a great idea!! Would something like this work?
It should. Remember throughput won't be anywhere near what you get with Ethernet.

A pair of HomePlug powerline adapters would also work and might provide more reliable and higher throughput.

Copy that, I'll keep it in mind. My primary reason for it is backing up my phone. I don't foresee myself streaming HQ video. So, I've procured an HP mediasmart server ex490.

I am a total noob when it comes to networking. I need to hook it up to my computer directly to format the drive. I have both an ethernet and crossover cable. I've read online about it being able to connect directly via ethernet but a lot of it reads like foreign language to me. Also, I've read it's not natively compatible with windows 7 64 bit os, which is what I'm running on. I think it mentioned the mediasmart server ex490 can be updated to work with 64bit os.

Could you walk me through getting this thing to work in layman's terms please?

A pair of HomePlug powerline adapters would also work and might provide more reliable and higher throughput.

I agree here - CAT5 is best, but HomePlugs are a cheap and good solution if one can't run ethernet...