What's new

Wireless professional settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Care to explain if anything in a few words or what is wrong with what's posted on that website? Really curious since it seemed legit to me, albeit not overly in depth.
Like I said, I only picked a few entries at random so maybe I just got unlucky... Generally it's the poor use of English language which leads to confusing or contradictory statements. Whilst, for example, the explanation of Preamble Type is just plain nonsense. YMMV.

Awesome!
This settings increase wifi download speed from 65 Mbps to 90 Mbps
And upload speed from 80Mbps to 90Mbps
4332089676.png

ISP 100/100

Well if you disable Tx burst then you will never hit more than 215Mbps but if enabled it will hit 320Mbps (AC-450Mbps).

So never disable TX Burst!

Well if you disable Tx burst then you will never hit more than 215Mbps but if enabled it will hit 320Mbps (AC-450Mbps).

So never disable TX Burst!

the TX Bursting setting is only for wireless g devices. it doesn't affect wireless AC.

the TX Bursting setting is only for wireless g devices. it doesn't affect wireless AC.
Then please tell me why im only getting 215Mbps with it disabled (Mac Book Pro AC-450Mbps) and 320Mbps with it enabled, placebo? I dont think so.

Last edited:
Then please tell me why im only getting 215Mbps with it disabled (Mac Book Pro AC-450Mbps) and 320Mbps with it enabled, placebo? I dont think so.

ask Asus. when you click the little ? tooltip on "Enable TX Bursting" it says it's for wireless g devices.

ask Asus. when you click the little ? tooltip on "Enable TX Bursting" it says it's for wireless g devices.
Either way, dont trust ASUS, trust the result and in this case Don't Disable TX Burst.

To the best of my knowledge wireless network connections are not capable of having the same consistently low LAN-side latency that can be expected from wired Ethernet connections.

Being able to get a wireless connection to indicate it is connected at what should be the maximum rate for that device does little if nothing at all to improve latency.

The latency can be expected to be inconsistent regardless of tweaking and not lend itself to an overall quality gaming experience.

If you can use wired Ethernet connections when gaming, you'll have a considerably more consistent LAN-side latency unless there is some other factor causing additional problems.

Cheers!

Tx Burst mode (packet overdrive) is only applicable for G client devices and sometimes B.
Which means that Tx Bursting does not apply to wirelness N or AC networks.
So if you have everything running in N or higher as with purely N support only.
You should consider to disable or turn off the Tx Support.
Then why is it even an option, let alone "enabled" the default, on the 5 GHz radio? Neither b nor g ever existed on 5 GHz.
EDIT: And I guess I ask the same question about "short" vs. "long" preamble. Pretty much everything you find by Googling says that long was for 802.11b. So why does Asus default the preamble to "long" on both 2.4 and 5 GHz?

Then why is it even an option, let alone "enabled" the default, on the 5 GHz radio? Neither b nor g ever existed on 5 GHz.
EDIT: And I guess I ask the same question about "short" vs. "long" preamble. Pretty much everything you find by Googling says that long was for 802.11b. So why does Asus default the preamble to "long" on both 2.4 and 5 GHz?
Preamble long is for compatibilities. It should work out the box.

I've just had a trawl through the source code and there's multiple references to the preamble variable (plcphdr) being only applicable to 2.4GHz b/g modes. The value set on the 5GHz page appears to just be ignored.

Here are a couple of examples:
Code:
        { "wl_plcphdr", "long", 0 },            /* 802.11b PLCP preamble type */
Code:
        /* Allow short preamble settings for the following:
         * 11b - short/long
         * 11g - short /long in GMODE_LEGACY_B and GMODE_AUTO gmodes
         *       GMODE_PERFORMANCE and GMODE_LRS will use short and long
         *       preambles respectively, by default
         * 11n - short/long applicable in 2.4G band only
         */

Lazy coding by ASUS? It's probably easier the have the same set of NVRAM variables for both bands even if some of them aren't applicable.

I've just had a trawl through the source code and there's multiple references to the preamble variable (plcphdr) being only applicable to 2.4GHz b/g modes. The value set on the 5GHz page appears to just be ignored.

Very interesting! Thanks.

I wonder if the same applies to "Enable TX Bursting" if it truly applies only to 802.11g devices.

Very interesting! Thanks.

I wonder if the same applies to "Enable TX Bursting" if it truly applies only to 802.11g devices.
According to the ASUS support site for the AC68U, enabling Tx Bursting will improve the performance of wireless-g devices. Don't shoot the messenger please. :)

I just found out on my RT-AC68u Turbo QAM doesn't work if you set wireless mode to N only. It only works If left on Auto.