What's new

without a clue what shall I do?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tw3akUrb0x

New Around Here
here's the deal,

I have 3-5 computers 2 printers and plan on purchasing external hard drive for backups of computers. Also plan on adding web cams and computer networked for security?

I think wired is much faster than wireless, so I would have to guess if there is some way to attach the printers to the network like I can with wireless routers then the wired would be the best way backed up with an inexpensive wireless access for when we need it...

you can begin with... can you get cat5 cables to where the desktop computers are? It may be that some of these locations also get a WiFi access point to produce coverage in that same area. The access point and the computer share the cat5 cable leading to the home router.

After that, we can help you arrange for WiFi coverage in areas its needed.

There are printer servers for sharing. Normally just one shared printer in a normal sized home.

Shared disk storage .. if there's no always-on PC, then you can get a small network attached storage product (NAS).

The printer part depends on the model of printer you have:

Some have built-in networking: plug in a network cable and go.

If it's only USB, you may be able to install on one workstation and share the printer out to the rest, provided you get your network going - or - use a usb print server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!