What's new

WNDR3700v2 as router and E4200v1 as AP OR E4200v1 as router and WNDR3700v2 as AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rustybumpers

New Around Here
OK so yesterday I went and bought both the NetGear WNDR3700v2 and the Linksys E4200v1 from Best Buy here in Seattle. Was surprised that BB only have the v1 and not E4200v2. Anyway...

I want to replace my current two WRT54Gv8 as router and WRT54Gv6 as AP setup.

So my basic question is which of these two wireless routers has the best routing functionality? WNDR3700v2 or E4200v1 ?

I can see from the SNB charts that the E4200v1 is generally faster in almost all aspects than the WNDR3700v2. But are there advantageous routing features in the WNDR3700v2 that I should take advantage of. Or most important of all, is the WNDR3700v2 more stable as a router-only than the E4200v1?

Or should I just take the WNDR3700v2 back and get a second E4200v1?

If you are curious, the need for the router-only is it lives inside a Leviton panel, in the basement, along with the cable modem. The wireless can barely escape the metal box. And it is almost impossible to find a wired-only consumer router these days. Plus I have a two story house, the panel is in the basement and its nice to have the AP up in the living area upstairs where its most used.