What's new

WOL(WakeOnLan) when local network traffic detected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dookei

New Around Here
Hi there ,
I have currently two servers that I dont need to have running all the time( energy is getting more and more expensive). Therefor they go to sleep/shutdown once they are no longer being used. But in order to use them I need to always send WOL request either from the router or the pc . Not an ideal solution. I know that there is already a script implementation on internet traffic dropped packet. But I would like to implement the same on LAN dropped packet.
Is it possible to do this for LAN as well ?

Wake On Lan Per HTTP/HTTPS ( Script )
WOL Script Wake Up Your Webserver On Internet Traffic

In a LAN to LAN situation, the client and server(s) are bridged, NOT routed, so there's nothing on the router to trigger the WOL scripts. These devices simply talk directly to one another via the switch.

One solution would be to *make* it a routed situation by placing the server(s) behind the WAN of another router, and thus on their own IP network. That secondary router's WAN would be patch to the LAN of the primary router.

Granted, there are downsides to having devices on different IP networks. For example, network discovery won't work. But the servers are still reachable across the secondary router's WAN provided you use port forwarding (or static routing), which can then trigger your WOL scripts.

FWIW, I recently developed my own such scripts at the request of another member.

Hi @eibgrad,
many thanks for your fast reply and detailed explanation ( I am not an IT network expert :)
I am checking now the script you developed and see if I can use it for my use case. Nicely writen script by the way! great job.
To complicate things I have a POE switch between the asus router and the target servers a TLSG1016PE. Now, I dunno if I can change the wiring here since one cable comes from the basement to the Asus router. I would need to lay an extra cable from the router to the TLSG1016PE( that would involve more drilling and wring, since I have the server closet in a different room from the asus router.

This is what I have at the moment.
1663831848252.png

Q1: I assume your recommendation was something like this. Right ?
1663831952402.png

Q2:But then wouldnt I loose the router features(firewall , QOS etc) ? O that is not covered for the LAN ports?

To be continued... :-D

Last edited:
What devices, more to the point OSs, are you connecting to those servers from?

You can configure autofs on Linux in such a way that it fires the WOL packet and waits for the NAS to wake up on accessing a share on the NAS.

I use severeal different devices ( Android OS, Windows, Linux). that Would be a "Client" side implementation. I would like to make this happen in the router.

@dookei I missed your earlier reply but yes, it would be client side. It works for my setup here but only because anything I care about in the equation is running a Linux install in someway shape or form. (I did years ago have a messy cludge where a samba share bounced to the WOL based NFS mount to enable other non-Linux devices but that didn't play particularly nicely.)

The change you suggested in the diagram wouldn't work here. As you've mentioned, it essentially bypasses the router (and its in-built firewall) with the modem going straight to the switch inside your network. The extra router @eibgrad mentioned (minimal config, wireless disabled, etc.) would be alongside the POE switch. Any traffic to the server would either go -> Asus -> second router (e.g. wireless) or -> POE Switch -> Asus -> second router.

I think it should work if you put the second router between POE Switch and server instead but preference would be direct between the Asus and second router.

Hi @eightiescalling thanks for your feedback. I actually have a second router that I am using as wifi expander( Mesh setup). I could theoretically use it like that. Still not the optimal solution but might just work. I will give it a try. To be continued...
1664870760461.png

So I have been considering and experimenting. I will drop this concept as this will break my AImesh network and create a bottle neck in my network.
Perhaps, will have to create a small system... low-power... with wireshark or something to detect a packet address to my server.
Thanks for the help and support.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!