What's new

Would appreciate Wireless Professional Setting recommendations of AIMesh with AX88U as the root router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

• In the Wireless, General tab,
    • choose the 2.4GHz band and change the Control Channel to 1, 6, or 11 (only)C. I suggest testing with 11, for the first 24 hours.
      • This setting may be changed to another main channel as needed if the range or throughput is not as optimal as desired.
    • Make sure you hit Apply before moving away from this page.
  • In the Wireless, General tab,
    • choose the 5GHz band and change the Control Channel away from 'Auto' to a manually chosen one. I suggest testing with channel 161, for the first 24 hours.
      • This setting may be changed to another main channel as needed if the range or throughput is not optimal. Be sure you are not selecting DFS channels if you are near an Airport, Military base, and/or a Weather station (within 15 miles +).
    • Make sure you hit Apply before moving away from this page.

Changing the Wireless Mode settings in the Wireless, General for both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band from 'Auto' to anything else cripples the router in many ways.

Thanks L&LD, awesome, but if you say "This is how it suppose to be!" then lets set it up as such, but honestly, some of those settings are new for me.

There are three things :
1. Band:
once you say to keep the band fixed, and then you say to keep the band Auto
2. AiProtection. Should we use it?:
Its Network Protection points out to disable UPnP, which i did. Actually i dont use any of modern wifi TVs or smart Fridges.
3. Is here on the forum already senseful tutorial for setting up VPN on the router?

Beside, i see that amount of settings available is incredibly high - highest i saw so far inside setup of router. Excellent !

Many thanks

1. The Wireless Mode and the Control Channel are not the same settings. :)

2. Your choice, but I see no reason to not continue to use it today (waiting to test how final 386.xx firmware may change that recommendation).

3. There is no reason for a tutorial for OpenVPN. If you just go in and enable it, hit apply, and export the OpenVPN file (and then import it to the device you want) it just works.

3. There is no reason for a tutorial for OpenVPN. If you just go in and enable it, hit apply, and export the OpenVPN file (and then import it to the device you want) it just works.

Hey, thanks,
so there is webside from NordVPN about Asus router, but with original firmware

here we talk about Merlin, and Merlin has plenty of options. Anywas, please let me describe where i am, so perhaps you can lead me to something higher.

1. I got NordVPN UDP file here

2. Inside settings of the Router i go to VPN>VPN Client>OpenVPN
and i land up here [Attachment #1]

in this menu i can do following
CLIENT CONTROL:
fill Description
upload the file
set Service State : ON
Automatic at book : yes

AUTHENTICATION SETTINGS:
fill UserName
fill Password

just below it states : Warning: "You must define a Certificate Authority". So what should i do?

rest is beyond my understanding. I ask for guidance

3. Regarding VPN settings : something i should change there?

4. here are also settings from WIFI 2.4 GHz and WIFI 5GHz attached [Attachment #2][Attachment #3]
Regarding WIFI settings : something i should change?

5. Is there any single book / publication / certificate,
where i could learn about this things?

Many Thanks!

Attachments

• asus wifi setting.png
    asus wifi setting.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 583
  • asus wifi setting 5g.png
    asus wifi setting 5g.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Okay, you're talking about a paid-for VPN service, not an OpenVPN connection back to your home when you're out and about.

I don't use nor recommend those services at all. Someone else will need to help with that.

Hey, thanks,
so there is webside from NordVPN about Asus router, but with original firmware

here we talk about Merlin, and Merlin has plenty of options. Anywas, please let me describe where i am, so perhaps you can lead me to something higher.

1. I got NordVPN UDP file here

2. Inside settings of the Router i go to VPN>VPN Client>OpenVPN
and i land up here [Attachment #1]

in this menu i can do following
CLIENT CONTROL:
fill Description
upload the file
set Service State : ON
Automatic at book : yes

AUTHENTICATION SETTINGS:
fill UserName
fill Password

just below it states : Warning: "You must define a Certificate Authority". So what should i do?

rest is beyond my understanding. I ask for guidance

3. Regarding VPN settings : something i should change there?

4. here are also settings from WIFI 2.4 GHz and WIFI 5GHz attached [Attachment #2][Attachment #3]
Regarding WIFI settings : something i should change?

5. Is there any single book / publication / certificate,
where i could learn about this things?

Many Thanks!
Try to set " Username / Password Auth. Only " to NO, you use both password and certificate
Seems you use a very old FW, which one and router model?

Last edited:
Okay, you're talking about a paid-for VPN service, not an OpenVPN connection back to your home when you're out and about.

I don't use nor recommend those services at all. Someone else will need to help with that.

L&LD, what services do you recommend?
Which VPN service You use as default at home, and with your mobile devices?

Try to set " Username / Password Auth. Only " to NO, you use both password and certificate
Seems you use a very old FW, which one and router model?
Data from Administration section of router settings

Model: RT-AX88U
Firmware Version: 384.19
Firmware Build: Fri Aug 14 19:20:07 UTC 2020 merlin@9a4e0c6

firmware is up to date.

Last edited:
In the Wireless, Professional tab,
  • Choose the 2.4GHz band and change the Preamble Type to Short.

Why do you recommend short instead of long (default) - whatare the benefits?

Also, do you still recommend using only the usb 2 slot on AC86U (I believe i remember you saying previously the usb 3 slot was buggy)?

Cheers,

The benefits are how quickly the clients connect/reconnect. There have been no issues with using this setting in the 'performance' mode for many years now. :)

Since Wi-Fi is a (time) shared medium, making the slowest clients connect faster speeds up everything on a busy network.

I recommend testing how USB 3.0 vs. USB 2.0 works with your USB drive, cable (if used), and network use. The USB 3.0 Port isn't buggy, it just may interfere with the 2.5GHz band's radio (and vice-versa). So, depending on how you use your network, it may be more or less important for you.

In my testing, scripts ran equally well using an SSD, a quality USB drive, and equally whether they were on USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports.

The only time the speed was an issue and was noticeable was when updating, installing, or doing other 'maintenance' type tasks involving the USB connected drives. Otherwise, the scripts ran imperceptibly identical for the users of the network(s).

What I did find with many customers is that their USB drives would sometimes not survive a reboot of the router (they would stay 'unmounted'). Some could be 'fixed' by using USB 2.0 mode while others needed to be replaced.

What a cheap PCIe SSD + external enclosure (UGREEN, see amazon) offers today for use in our routers is only slightly more expensive than a USB drive but a much more robust device because of higher quality nand and usually better shielding and cables too (cables, which help to keep the heat away from the router too, btw).

What I did find with many customers is that their USB drives would sometimes not survive a reboot of the router (they would stay 'unmounted'). Some could be 'fixed' by using USB 2.0 mode while others needed to be replaced.

That was it!

Cheers for the explanation -i only use the usb to store spdmerlin on (and by virtue a 2gb swap file) so I'll just leave it on USB 2 - I have enough issues with the AC86U not restarting properly as it is :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!