What's new

Would appreciate Wireless Professional Setting recommendations of AIMesh with AX88U as the root router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phlojo

New Around Here
Hi,

I am a new user. Great community here, very useful, so much knowledge, at times overwhelming but all around a great place!
I have been an ASUS router user for as long as I remember, but only recently I went down the Merlin route.

My current set-up is as follows:

Root/Main Router: A new AX88U, which I have reset, per the instructions found here and updated with the latest released Merlin firmware (384.19) - on the ground floor, in the middle
Node 1: AC88U (used to be my old Main/Root Router), reset and running latest released Merlin - on the 1st floor
Node 2: AC68, reset and running latest released Merlin - on the 1st floor, in the other side of the house.
Node 3: AC68, reset and running latest released Merlin - on the ground floor, in the other side of the house. Tried in the garage also... In general a more problematic Node...

For weeks now I have been reading and following advice and info in these forums, which have been great, but only partial. I have some gaps in what info I was able to find.

I would love your advice on the following.

1. My Wireless Professional settings... My network is not as stabile as I'd like it to be, but it feels like it is getting more stabile every day... Maybe... I can't tell anymore if I am going crazy or if all is as good as it can be.
Could you take a quick look at the screenshots at the bottom, and let me know if I missed something or if anything jumps out as being configured in a very questionable way:

2. How do I know if my system is running AIMesh 1.0 or 2.0? When I had the stock firmware on the AX88U, I did notice that the ASUS mobile app had some additional functions under AI Mesh, as did the Web Admin. Am I to understand that those features are available only with AIMesh 2.0 and are coming later on Merlin, or is that not related to AIMesh Version?

3. WPS. I understand this gets turned on when adding new AIMesh Nodes. Do I need to keep it on if/when I relocate a node? Is there any other best practice for relocating a node other than making sure the reception is the best it can be?

4. I occasionally have problems with one of the AC68U AIMesh nodes. Connection is dropped or is made but while LAN access is available, Internet is not. Or only 2.4 works not 5, or vice versa. Can you point me to a good post where how to best reset and set up a Merlin AIMesh node is. I found bits and pieces of info on this...

Thank you so very much in advance!

screenshots:

Screenshot 2.4G.png

Screenshot 5G.png

Hi,

I am a new user. Great community here, very useful, so much knowledge, at times overwhelming but all around a great place!
I have been an ASUS router user for as long as I remember, but only recently I went down the Merlin route.

My current set-up is as follows:

Root/Main Router: A new AX88U, which I have reset, per the instructions found here and updated with the latest released Merlin firmware (384.19) - on the ground floor, in the middle
Node 1: AC88U (used to be my old Main/Root Router), reset and running latest released Merlin - on the 1st floor
Node 2: AC68, reset and running latest released Merlin - on the 1st floor, in the other side of the house.
Node 3: AC68, reset and running latest released Merlin - on the ground floor, in the other side of the house. Tried in the garage also... In general a more problematic Node...

For weeks now I have been reading and following advice and info in these forums, which have been great, but only partial. I have some gaps in what info I was able to find.

I would love your advice on the following.

1. My Wireless Professional settings... My network is not as stabile as I'd like it to be, but it feels like it is getting more stabile every day... Maybe... I can't tell anymore if I am going crazy or if all is as good as it can be.
Could you take a quick look at the screenshots at the bottom, and let me know if I missed something or if anything jumps out as being configured in a very questionable way:

2. How do I know if my system is running AIMesh 1.0 or 2.0? When I had the stock firmware on the AX88U, I did notice that the ASUS mobile app had some additional functions under AI Mesh, as did the Web Admin. Am I to understand that those features are available only with AIMesh 2.0 and are coming later on Merlin, or is that not related to AIMesh Version?

3. WPS. I understand this gets turned on when adding new AIMesh Nodes. Do I need to keep it on if/when I relocate a node? Is there any other best practice for relocating a node other than making sure the reception is the best it can be?

4. I occasionally have problems with one of the AC68U AIMesh nodes. Connection is dropped or is made but while LAN access is available, Internet is not. Or only 2.4 works not 5, or vice versa. Can you point me to a good post where how to best reset and set up a Merlin AIMesh node is. I found bits and pieces of info on this...

Thank you so very much in advance!

screenshots:

View attachment 28560
View attachment 28561

My install notes cover basic settings. There are not many non-default settings.

Make sure you reset the firmware after you install it and before you configure it.

Review Asuswrt firmware release notes to see when AiMesh 2.0 was introduced. When Asuswrt-Merlin incorporates Asuswrt with AiMesh 2.0, then that's when Asuswrt-Merlin gets AiMesh 2.0.

You have 4 nodes on two levels... that is potentially a lot of WiFi. What is the sq footprint of a level?

Since the AC68Us do not support Smart Connect, you should disable it on the router and use different SSIDs per band across your AIMesh.

OE

My install notes cover basic settings. There are not many non-default settings.

Make sure you reset the firmware after you install it and before you configure it.

Review Asuswrt firmware release notes to see when AiMesh 2.0 was introduced. When Asuswrt-Merlin incorporates Asuswrt with AiMesh 2.0, then that's when Asuswrt-Merlin gets AiMesh 2.0.

You have 4 nodes on two levels... that is potentially a lot of WiFi. What is the sq footprint of a level?

Since the AC68Us do not support Smart Connect, you should disable it on the router and use different SSIDs per band across your AIMesh.

OE

Got it. I'm fairly clear on the first 3 paragraphs/recommendations.

My house is about 3600sqft more or less half on each level. Is 4 nodes overkill?

I do not have smart connect on the Root Router, so I assume that as a result it is not enabled on any of the AIMesh nodes either. I have two different SSIDs one for 2.4 one for 5.

My house is about 3600sqft more or less half on each level. Is 4 nodes overkill?

I'm familiar with the AC68U coverage... your weakest router. One AC68U centrally located can cover your 1800 sq ft., subject to obstacles. Coverage at the perimeter, especially outside, may leave you wanting. But you might make do.

A stronger/newer model, one on each level, opposite sides of central could do it.

But you probably would prefer two on the ground level, wide apart, to cover inside and outside living areas. And those might also cover the upper level.

If not, add a third centralized node on the upper level where needed. A fourth node on the upper level is feeling like a lot of radio.

Keep in mind Asus router specs often state... 'for a very large home'. So, go from there to solve your particular extenuating conditions.

My notes describe my 2xRT-AC86U application/coverage. An AC86U is about 20% more effective coverage than a AC68U... a nice bump.

Maybe that helps. :)

OE

@phlojo, I would recommend you reset your router one more time.

Below is my response to your question 1).

The following link is the steps I suggest in getting your router to best use, its expected defaults.

This is a quick overview of what I would change after the router has been reset to defaults. (Note: this isn't the same as just changing the settings back to what is recommended below).

Do not plug in any previously used USB drives for amtm + swap file and Entware use without first formatting on a PC with NTFS.

With the steps above complete, go through the settings, and change only the following.

(These should (hopefully) be in the order shown when using the Setup wizard, but quickly read them first, to know what is coming/expected).
  • Use new, never before used SSID's. Particularly if coming from an AC class and/or different brand router.
    • Use separate SSID's for each band with the following restrictions.
    • Use (only) 8-character alphanumeric SSID's. No spaces, punctuation, smiley faces, or other special characters.
    • Use (only) 16-character passwords with the same characteristics.
    • Use a non-default username (i.e. not 'admin') and password for the main, GUI, log in with the same characteristics.
  • In the LAN, LAN IP tab set the Domain Name for your network.
    • With an 8-character limit, same characteristics as above.
    • Make sure you hit Apply before moving away from this page.
  • In the Wireless, WPS tab, disable WPS.
  • In the Wireless, General tab,
    • choose the 2.4GHz band and change the Control Channel to 1, 6, or 11 (only). I suggest testing with 11, for the first 24 hours.
      • This setting may be changed to another main channel as needed if the range or throughput is not as optimal as desired.
    • choose the 5GHz band and change the Control Channel away from 'Auto' to a manually chosen one. I suggest testing with channel 161, for the first 24 hours.
      • This setting may be changed to another main channel as needed if the range or throughput is not optimal. Be sure you are not selecting DFS channels if you are near an Airport, Military base, and/or a Weather station (within 15 miles +).
  • In the Wireless, Professional tab,
    • Choose the 2.4GHz band and change the Preamble Type to Short.
    • Disable Universal Beamforming.
    • Choose the 5GHz band and change Universal Beamforming to Disable.
  • In the Administration, System tab,
    • Select 'Yes' for the Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs.
    • Select your Time Zone.
      • Verify the DST start and end dates and times.
      • Change the WPS Button Behavior to Toggle Radio
    • Enable SSH with 'LAN only'.
    • Use a non-default SSH Port (I suggest in the 50000 + range).
    • Enable Brute Force Protection 'Yes'.
  • Reboot the router and wait up to 15 minutes for the Wi-Fi to become available.
  • After this first reboot with the router configured to BP's (best practices), reboot it once again after an additional 15 minutes or more has passed.
  • A final reboot after another full hour is suggested but may not be necessary.
  • In any case, after the final reboot (now and into the future), a waiting period of up to 10 minutes +, may be required before all services are available on the network. Be patient.
From these good/known defaults, with a network having modern (enough) clients, changes should only be made if necessary. Beware that some options may need a full reset to be fully 'undone'.

@phlojo, with RMerlin firmware 384.19_0 installed, you are running AiMesh v1.0.

1). See above. :)

3). No, turn off WPS immediately when not needed. You can turn off your AiMesh nodes and move them around as needed.

4). Mixed AiMesh networks of AC class and AX class routers are a bad mix. :(

Look at the suggestion in the very last paragraph before following the suggested process below.

Here is the best chance of getting them to work nicely together.
  • Remove the troublesome node from your network via the GUI.
  • Power off the router you want to reset and leave it off for a minute.
  • Hold down the WPS button and turn on the router. Keep holding the WPS button until the power light either turns off or, the router reboots. At this point, the router should have been reset. If you can see the default Asus Wi-Fi SSID's when it boots up, you know it has been reset. If you don't see them (giving them enough time to show, of course), then repeat the WPS steps until you do.
  • Flash the same level of firmware as the main router to this (future) node.
  • If it already has the firmware needed, reflash it anyway.
  • Follow the steps in the link below to fully reset it and allow it to use the expected defaults of the firmware installed.
  • https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-1-beta-is-now-available.68205/post-642098
  • With the previous steps completed, turn off the router and wait for a minute.
  • Hold down the WPS key and keep holding (as above) until the router is reset.
  • At this point, do not try to connect or enter via the GUI of this router.
  • Add an AiMesh node via the main router's GUI while the node is in the same room as the main router.
  • Be patient while it configures itself and for up to 15 minutes afterward too.
  • Turn it off and move it to the location desired.
  • Make sure you turn off WPS in the main router at this point.
  • Turn on the node and wait for up to 15 minutes + for it to be functional in its new location.
If there are still issues with connection drops and other anomalies, try a location that is closer to the main router, an orientation (and if possible, an altitude change), and/or position the antennae for a better response (to the main router).

I hope some of this helps solve your issues. :)

Here are my WLAN-Settings for an AX-58U. After tinkering around for Month's with nearly every Router-Setting possible, this is atm my final Setup. Really fast, stable and responsive, even after many day's router Uptime. Hopefully this can give u some inspiration.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-7GfJBUGt0s.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-RO1IhHk6RiM6.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-Qs38X9vmbrT.jpg

@phlojo, I would recommend you reset your router one more time.

Below is my response to your question 1).

The following link is the steps I suggest in getting your router to best use, its expected defaults.

This is a quick overview of what I would change after the router has been reset to defaults. (Note: this isn't the same as just changing the settings back to what is recommended below).

Do not plug in any previously used USB drives for amtm + swap file and Entware use without first formatting on a PC with NTFS.

With the steps above complete, go through the settings, and change only the following.

(These should (hopefully) be in the order shown when using the Setup wizard, but quickly read them first, to know what is coming/expected).
  • Use new, never before used SSID's. Particularly if coming from an AC class and/or different brand router.
    • Use (only) 8-character alphanumeric SSID's. No spaces, punctuation, smiley faces, or other special characters.
    • Use a non-default username (i.e. not 'admin') and password for the main, GUI, log in with the same characteristics.
  • In the LAN, LAN IP tab set the Domain Name for your network.
    • With an 8-character limit, same characteristics as above.
  • In the Wireless, WPS tab, disable WPS.
    • choose the 2.4GHz band and change the Control Channel to 1, 6, or 11 (only). I suggest testing with 11, for the first 24 hours.
      • This setting may be changed to another main channel as needed if the range or throughput is not as optimal as desired.
    • choose the 5GHz band and change the Control Channel away from 'Auto' to a manually chosen one. I suggest testing with channel 161, for the first 24 hours.
      • This setting may be changed to another main channel as needed if the range or throughput is not optimal. Be sure you are not selecting DFS channels if you are near an Airport, Military base, and/or a Weather station (within 15 miles +).
    • Choose the 2.4GHz band and change the Preamble Type to Short.
    • Disable Universal Beamforming.
    • Choose the 5GHz band and change Universal Beamforming to Disable.
  • In the Administration, System tab,
    • Select 'Yes' for the Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs.
    • Select your Time Zone.
      • Verify the DST start and end dates and times.
      • Change the WPS Button Behavior to Toggle Radio
    • Enable SSH with 'LAN only'.
    • Use a non-default SSH Port (I suggest in the 50000 + range).
    • Enable Brute Force Protection 'Yes'.
  • Reboot the router and wait up to 15 minutes for the Wi-Fi to become available.
  • After this first reboot with the router configured to BP's (best practices), reboot it once again after an additional 15 minutes or more has passed.
  • A final reboot after another full hour is suggested but may not be necessary.
  • In any case, after the final reboot (now and into the future), a waiting period of up to 10 minutes +, may be required before all services are available on the network. Be patient.
From these good/known defaults, with a network having modern (enough) clients, changes should only be made if necessary. Beware that some options may need a full reset to be fully 'undone'.

@phlojo, with RMerlin firmware 384.19_0 installed, you are running AiMesh v1.0.

1). See above. :)

3). No, turn off WPS immediately when not needed. You can turn off your AiMesh nodes and move them around as needed.

4). Mixed AiMesh networks of AC class and AX class routers are a bad mix. :(

Look at the suggestion in the very last paragraph before following the suggested process below.

Here is the best chance of getting them to work nicely together.
  • Remove the troublesome node from your network via the GUI.
  • Power off the router you want to reset and leave it off for a minute.
  • Hold down the WPS button and turn on the router. Keep holding the WPS button until the power light either turns off or, the router reboots. At this point, the router should have been reset. If you can see the default Asus Wi-Fi SSID's when it boots up, you know it has been reset. If you don't see them (giving them enough time to show, of course), then repeat the WPS steps until you do.
  • Flash the same level of firmware as the main router to this (future) node.
  • If it already has the firmware needed, reflash it anyway.
  • Follow the steps in the link below to fully reset it and allow it to use the expected defaults of the firmware installed.
  • https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-1-beta-is-now-available.68205/post-642098
  • With the previous steps completed, turn off the router and wait for a minute.
  • Hold down the WPS key and keep holding (as above) until the router is reset.
  • At this point, do not try to connect or enter via the GUI of this router.
  • Add an AiMesh node via the main router's GUI while the node is in the same room as the main router.
  • Be patient while it configures itself and for up to 15 minutes afterward too.
  • Turn it off and move it to the location desired.
  • Make sure you turn off WPS in the main router at this point.
  • Turn on the node and wait for up to 15 minutes + for it to be functional in its new location.
If there are still issues with connection drops and other anomalies, try a location that is closer to the main router, an orientation (and if possible, an altitude change), and/or position the antennae for a better response (to the main router).

I hope some of this helps solve your issues. :)

Thank you very much!

Changing the Wireless Mode settings in the Wireless, General for both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band from 'Auto' to anything else cripples the router in many ways.

Unless you're running old/ancient Wi-Fi client devices, this setting, on Auto, allows the router to perform at its best.

And what I may have forgotten to mention in my post above: use WPA2 for passwords. The other settings are still 'experimental'.

Changing the Wireless Mode settings in the Wireless, General for both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz band from 'Auto' to anything else cripples the router in many ways.

Unless you're running old/ancient Wi-Fi client devices, this setting, on Auto, allows the router to perform at its best.

And what I may have forgotten to mention in my post above: use WPA2 for passwords. The other settings are still 'experimental'.

Apply'd your recommendation for the Wireless Mode but I think that I tryd it earlier this Year but changed later to fixed settings cause it performed better for me.

I have seen that you recommended Automatic many times but wheres the benefit ?
Why do you think that this setting helps the router to perform at its best ?

Thanks for your explanation and stay healthy.

The answer is in the post you're quoting. :)

In what way did it perform better for you? Do you have legacy client devices?

My criteria are that the network performs at its highest level when any and all clients are connected and in use.

Using anything other than 'Auto' for the Wireless Mode with the latest clients is like buying a sports car and leaving it always in 'valet' mode.

You stay healthy too my friend. :)

The answer is in the post you're quoting. :)

In what way did it perform better for you? Do you have legacy client devices?

My criteria are that the network performs at its highest level when any and all clients are connected and in use.

Using anything other than 'Auto' for the Wireless Mode with the latest clients is like buying a sports car and leaving it always in 'valet' mode.

You stay healthy too my friend. :)

I have an MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 as my daily driver. Combined with an Xiaomi Mi9T Pro and some Iphones from my GF and family.

Also nearly 20+ Gosund SP1 with newest Tasmota.

With my settings above, I noticed that my network feels extremely responsive and snappy in every situation.

I have an MBP from 2012 running Big Sur as a tertiary device too. The settings I use don't cause any issues (even with non-officially supported OS and Wi-Fi drivers). If anything, it is allowing it to perform at its best, ever (I can get 450Mbps anywhere in the home with that device.

From a properly and fully reset router default (RT-AX86U):

My settings are 40MHz width on the 2.4GHz band (I don't care much for that band or for the range it may offer with the client devices I have) with Universal Beamforming off and a fixed Control Channel (11). AX Capability is on 'Enable'.

On the 5GHz band, I'm using 160MHz width with Universal Beamforming off, fixed Control Channel (64) and AX Capability is on 'Enable'.

On both bands, I am using the OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO settings at DL/UP OFDMA + MU-MIMO.

On your network with PLA's, smaller improvements may be masked by the variability they introduce?

I have an MBP from 2012 running Big Sur as a tertiary device too. The settings I use don't cause any issues (even with non-officially supported OS and Wi-Fi drivers). If anything, it is allowing it to perform at its best, ever (I can get 450Mbps anywhere in the home with that device.

From a properly and fully reset router default (RT-AX86U):

My settings are 40MHz width on the 2.4GHz band (I don't care much for that band or for the range it may offer with the client devices I have) with Universal Beamforming off and a fixed Control Channel (11). AX Capability is on 'Enable'.

On the 5GHz band, I'm using 160MHz width with Universal Beamforming off, fixed Control Channel (64) and AX Capability is on 'Enable'.

On both bands, I am using the OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO settings at DL/UP OFDMA + MU-MIMO.

On your network with PLA's, smaller improvements may be masked by the variability they introduce?

It is possible. Also, I think if you have the same Device as for example: our MacBook for many, many Years as a daily driver and also like tinkering around with Router Settings to find the best/optimal Home Network Settings for personal use.

You get a feeling if something feels good or something sucks and lags or stutters. Surely is set and forget also possible but hey, everyone needs a lil hobby.

I even give your recommendations a try, and maybe I adapt them into my Setup.

feeling like a lot of radio
It is, isn't it? Then comes figuring out precise spacing to avoid "friendly interference", which is, as you stated, likely not possible.

L&LD, thanks for the settings in the post above, if I read that right, do these apply in general (AX86U in Router Mode) and if so, can you contrast what you said here, with that above post, e.g.

Also, I've just got my AX86U up and running and configured for the most part for how I want it but not too familiar with the whole WPA3 protocol yet, tried it since my laptop does support it and WiFi6. I've always left it (Control Channel) in "Auto" and it seemed to work fine but since changing the 2.4/5 to 11 and 161 for now it seems solid. Thanks again,

Last edited:
@GK59, I'm not really sure what you're asking? The 'Wireless Mode' settings should be on Auto to get the benefits the router has and is different from the 'Control Channel' settings which should not be on Auto because the router doesn't know how to pick one better than we do.

Does that clarify anything for you? :)

@GK59, I'm not really sure what you're asking? The 'Wireless Mode' settings should be on Auto to get the benefits the router has and is different from the 'Control Channel' settings which should not be on Auto because the router doesn't know how to pick one better than we do.

Does that clarify anything for you? :)
Yes it does @L&LD and thank you, honestly I was confused too as it was late when I posted and had edited several times. I was in fact referring to "Control Channel" setting which I did set along with the others as you had suggested in post#5 and all is well so far.

@L&LD
Use new, never before used SSID's. Particularly if coming from an AC class and/or different brand router.

So what is the reasoning to use new ssid`s. As for password, that always a good thing to change on regular basis. Why limit the length to 16charactors?

See Why use new SSID's in the link below.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

You can also search (use the 'Better search' option) for my replies to this question many times in the past too.

The 16-character limit is enough to require millennia before it is cracked with today's tech. :)

Just trying to use best practices, here again, to standardize across all devices (including Asus routers which don't allow for more in the log on screen).

Constantly changing passwords to be 'safer' is an old belief. MS doesn't recommend that anymore either, for example.

Microsoft Will No Longer Recommend Forcing Periodic Password Changes | Decipher (duo.com)

The link above is just the first hit I found on that. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!