What's new

WRT610n V2.0 + DD-WRT mini + Intel 5100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrismcpole

Occasional Visitor
Ok here is the info page for 5ghz. The problem is that the client (Vaio Z with Intel 5100, latest drivers 13.0.0.107 and Win 7 64bit) shows 150mbps connection speed in the task manager 30cm away from the router, even though the router shows 270mbps (why not 300?!:mad:)

Also the Signal Quality at 79% within 30cm of the router is rather low, as I believe. Furthermore, Transmitted (TX) shows 5 errors as you can see, is that normal?

I know 5100 is problematic and might be reporting theTX to windows, which is 150 max, but still I see 245 for a second ones in a while and it gets back to 150. What gives and is it something that I'm missing about both the AP and client? Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 330
270 Mbps link rate reported by the router is due to the Broadcom chipset. Don't sweat the difference between 270 and 300 Mbps. Doesn't really matter for performance.

Check the network properties on the wireless adapter and make sure that Channel width is set to Auto (20/40). Also check the Intel site for latest drivers. Intel has been updating the 5100/5300 drivers regularly.

Thanks, figured it out, 5100 reports TX in windows when idle (150mbps) and goes up to 300 when doing any type of download/browsing, so I'm getting it up close @ 300mbps in both 5Ghz N and 2.4 Ghz N (40 mode).

The problem is still the range for 5Ghz. Right now ddwrt settings for 5Ghz look like this (please see the attach) - a default more or less. SO the question is, having all those toolz DD-wrt has to offer, including the TX power setting, what would be the best to set in my case? For 71mW - I don't mind going much higher, if that will help

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 384
Boosting power (or using higher-gain antennas) is the only way you'll improve 5 GHz band range.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!