What's new

www.asuswrt-merlin.net homeage is down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Geraner

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Just saw that the Merlin's homepage is down.
Just something temporary or did some forget to renew the domain name?

merlin-homepage.PNG

Dates for Expiring and latest update is not near in time. So for me it looks more like a technical issue at the company who is hosting this website.
merlin-homepage2.PNG

Found that to in Ontario Canada
Hummm, really...

1630525699138.png

1630525654836.png

They are in fact a few minutes from my house (south shore of Montreal in the province of Quebec).

Nothing nefarious going on. My hosting provider suffered a major issue in one of their datacenters last Saturday, forcing them to restore entire servers from their backups. My website was restored on Saturday night but on a different server, requiring me to update the IP in my DNS. It seems they have now moved their fully recovered server (they finalized recovering other customers on that server only last night) to the original IP, requiring me to change the DNS entry once again.

The wrong IP was simply pointed at a random website that was on that server since my website didn't exist any longer on it (having moved to a different server).

Someone else has taken over the domain name?? I suddenly see possibilities to faking the site, and sending our malware infected firmware updates for the one who owns this site.
I don`t provide live updates, specifically for security reasons. And the new firmware update notification is handled by a different server, at a different provider. The recent issues with the web host had no impact at all to either the git or the firmware update checking server.

Suddenly Merlin's site re-directing to a whole other site-
Anyones knows the reason?

It is fine on my end, wonder if there is something on your end causing this problem.

Not here, it's the legitimate site when I checked from here right now. If you haven't visited in a while, do note that it did get a major "refurbishing" a few months back, so you might not recognize it.

Currently shows L'infograph website instead of his, for a few days now.
Hopefully will be resolved soon

Nothing nefarious going on. My hosting provider suffered a major issue in one of their datacenters last Saturday, forcing them to restore entire servers from their backups. My website was restored on Saturday night but on a different server, requiring me to update the IP in my DNS. It seems they have now moved their fully recovered server (they finalized recovering other customers on that server only last night) to the original IP, requiring me to change the DNS entry once again.

The wrong IP was simply pointed at a random website that was on that server since my website didn't exist any longer on it (having moved to a different server).

Did they ever hear of a load balancer?

Did they ever hear of a load balancer?
Load balancers have nothing to do with it. It was an error that occured while they were restoring backups for a series of trashed servers, the wrong IP was allocated to some of the restored cPanel accounts.

Take off your tinfoil hats people. Chill. The world is a crazy place.

When RMerlin posts a valid reason, not sure why the paranoia continues.

Load balancers have nothing to do with it. It was an error that occured while they were restoring backups for a series of trashed servers, the wrong IP was allocated to some of the restored cPanel accounts.

If they used a load balancer, they could have changed it rather than email you twice about IP changes requiring DNS changes. I managed a campus network including data center. Everything should be dynamic and virtual. We humans are the week part and that's what went wrong :-}

Thank you for all you do Eric!

Morris