What's new

Xbox One X Insanely Slow 5ghz Wi-Fi Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zackattack784

Regular Contributor
I have an Xbox One X I use purely as a travel system. As such, I don’t have it hardwired and only use wifi for game/system updates. I’m not sure when this started, but recently I’ve noticed it will max out at about 25 Mbps over 5GHz Wi-Fi (my connection is 250 Mbps). Even if I move the system right next to the router 25 is the max. Initially I thought possibly the Wi-Fi chip was bad, but on 2.4 it can hit close to 100. This tells me there has to be a 5 GHz setting that is causing the issue.
I have an AX88U and a AX58U as an AP. It doesn’t matter which one it is connected to, it’s still maxes out at 25. below are my 5 GHz settings. Any thoughts?

Edit to add: my series X is hardwired but decided to connect to Wi-Fi to see if it also had the issue. It does not. I can hit 250 over Wi-Fi on the series X.

Attachments

• C1E995C8-B6A8-452F-BDA4-90E5AA98CF85.png
    C1E995C8-B6A8-452F-BDA4-90E5AA98CF85.png
    255.4 KB · Views: 336
I have the same issue wireless over 5Ghz with my AX86U as well. My Xbox one x is at 21mbps on a 1gb internet plan. My old AC86u was much higher

I still have my Scorpio Edition One X and use an AC86U running Merlin 384.19 with a 200 down and 20 up service and the One X gets max speeds on our 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

Compared to your 5 GHz wireless professional settings, I have most things disabled and the Modulation Scheme set to match the band's standard. So, the only professional settings I have enabled are AMPDU RTS and Enable WMM and the Modulation Scheme is set to MCS 9 (802.11ac) on 5 GHz.

If I start playing around with any other professional settings or set the Modulation Scheme higher, I start getting worse performance of varying degrees across different devices.

Last edited:
I know this is old but I finally fixed this issue. I have my network as WPA2/WPA3. Changing it to just WPA2 gave me full speeds again on 5ghz.
TLDR: The real issue is protected management frames, make sure it's set to 'disabled'.

Hey!

Thanks for your post but WPA3 isn't the actual problem, something that it requires is: protected management frames.
If anyone else is having this issue, you *must* set protected management frames to 'disabled'. Both the 'required' and 'capable' setting cause this issue. Unfortunately, this does mean that you won't be able to use WPA3 at all..

Thanks again for your post, it pointed me in the right direction, if it weren't for you, I may never have figured it out; I was using protected management frames on wpa2 and your post made me think about what things wpa3 might require that can also be enabled for wpa2 and led me straight to the problem so thanks again