What's new

XboxOne to Xbox360 system link, Asus 68r

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C.O.P.S

Occasional Visitor
This'll be lengthy. Not sure if this issue is because of my router (Asus 68r). So here's the set up, system linking an Xbox One to an Xbox360.

List of games tested:

Halo Wars
Halo Reach
Left4Dead2
Operation Flashpoint (forgot which one)

So at first we had both consoles connected by wifi, Xbox One 5ghz Xbox 360 2.4ghz. Consoles could see each other, but not join.

Next we tried both wired to the router. Same result. But one additional issue came up, the Xbox One would drop connection to everything, and require a restart.

Next we tried Xbox One wired, Xbox 360 wireless. This worked but there's a lot of buffering, and it almost always ends not only with the two consoles disconnecting from each other but also the Xbox One would lose all connect ability and require a restart.

Next we tried a crossover cable directly between the two consoles. This worked perfectly on all the games listed with the exception of Halo Wars.

Now in order to get Halo Wars system link to function we have to hard wire the Xbox One to the router, and from there it doesn't seem to matter whether the Xbox 360 is connected wired or wireless. Works perfectly but only for Halo Wars. The other games go back to seeing but not able to join.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why 3 out of 4 of these games will only work through a directly connected crossover cable, but 1 won't. And why 1 out of 4 will only work through the router but not through a crossover cable?

Ultimately I'd prefer it if the system link play could just be done through my Asus 68r, and it seems to me that it "should" be able to work that way.

Been at this for weeks off and on as time permits.

Have already read all the networking info at the xbox website, these issues aren't covered there.

Is there some setting in my router I've not set right to enable fluid inter-device communication?

It seems to me that the router is capable of it, otherwise Halo Wars wouldn't work, but why then do the other games not work through the router?

Again this is a system link ordeal, we are not trying to play on xbox live together.

Would putting a switch with auto mdi/mdix between one console and the router solve this?

Any useful thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE:

I believe I have solved the issue, at least sort of. Not exactly what I was hoping for but it'll work for now.

Ok so the xboxone during this ordeal was also throwing out a teredo error "cannot obtain teredo ip". I ignored this because I don't particularly care about online play, just local. However since I couldn't solve this system link issue I decided to muck around with the teredo issue.

My router showed blank fields no matter what ipv6 type I tried. So I went into the cable office (charter), nobody in the place knew about anything to do with cable except how to take your money and attempt to sell you stuff you don't want. I called charter support, same thing, no body knows anything. I asked what settings I needed to know to get ipv6 working, I was told "it doesn't matter anything will do".....gods, of course it matters right? this brave new world where nobody knows anything and everyone is disinclined to do anything but entertain themselves. Pardon me.

After some searching online I finally came across the info I needed, which wasn't entirely correct but I figured out what was wrong with that. Ok so I finally got ipv6 working. I fired up the xbox one, then cleared it's cache. Fired it up again and low and behold ipv4+ipv6 connection. Which is what it's supposed to show if you got it all right. I decided to try system link again with all of the games I already mentioned.

They all worked. With one small detail Left4Dead2 momentarily buffered twice in roughly two hours.

What I really wanted was to play system link between xboxone and xbox360 without the internet being involved, but for reasons I don't currently understand this does not work correctly. I'm sure this is likely an xboxone/Microsoft issue, but I'm not ruling out a possible router issue.

Would/why would the router either interfere with or be unable to properly execute inter device communication (system link between xboxone and xbox360) just because ipv6 isn't turned on? What would ipv6 have to do with it?

Remember, 3 of the 4 games worked offline with a crossover cable, but not through a router (tried a switch too no luck) yet 1 of the 4 only worked through the router connected to the internet. I tried a netgear x6 and had the same problems, so I doubt this is a brand or model specific issue.

It can't be an mdix thing because the xbox360 (not sure about the xboxone) has auto mdix. The router (AC68R) I presume also has auto mdix?

This ordeal is really interesting to me. I wish Microsoft would just be straight and honest about how this works and why, maybe even...gasp....fix it. It was one of their senior guys who said that the xboxone would be able to system link not only with an xbox360 but also with an xbox original, he said we could link all three machines together for system link play. But he neglected to mention how to do it, and whether or not there'd be any issues or special requirements. Go figure.

So to sum it up for those interested. XboxOne can in fact system link with xbox 360 and xbox original. Whether or not this will work offline through a switch, or a hub is dependent apon each individual title. And the only way I could get this function to work "properly" through my AC68R was to have ipv6 up and running.

I hope my discovery helps other people. If anyone figures out how to get this working without needing to have the xboxone connected to the internet via ipv6 please share the info. I have my fingers crossed for a router level solution, but....Microsoft + isolated internet ghettos (xblive)...yeah.

On going saga:

It started happening again. System link games buffering, losing connection through router (ac68r). But this time it was the xbox360 that was dropping connection. So I decided to reset the router (clear nvram) and start all over again from scratch.

Things I tried this time:

No static ip assigned. No luck, in fact it was much worse. Immediately dropping connection.

I decided to set the max reservation pool from its default of 254 to a max of 30. Next I gave the xboxone a static ip and put it in the dmz. Something odd happened, strict nat. It's my understanding that that should not have happened. So I took the xboxone out of the dmz, rebooted the router. Nat still strict. So while in the xboxone's network settings I decided to play around with the recently added alternative ports section. What I discovered was that if I chose the lowest one I got a spotty connection that said "open nat" but was unstable. If I set it to the highest port number I got instant strict nat. So I set it to the second lowest port available in the drop down list, nat changed to open. Ever since then the xboxone and xbox 360 have been successfully system linking without a single buffer or drop for about 2+hours.

Any ideas on why this might be?

I give up for now.

I think my router is dying. It has begun dropping my wii u, which never used to happen. I have to manually configure the wii u, as if the router won't auto assign it, even if I have a static address set in the router. Can't keep the xbox one connected to the router, wired or wireless. Anyone have a suggestion for a new router, Asus. The whole family are gamers. No Netflix or any of that. Some streaming from a usb attached hdd. I'm kind of leaning towards the 86u. Would this do or maybe some other model? The rapture is way out of my price range.

Just try both consoles over ethernet... that's the one case perhaps that I might have missed thru the chapters here...

Just try both consoles over ethernet... that's the one case perhaps that I might have missed thru the chapters here...

Yes, covered that. Anyway I'm pretty sure I've exhausted the physical configuration possibilities. Wired, don't wired, old wires, new wires, router, don't router, Ethernet, crossover, automatic, manual....

Pretty sure I've covered it all...

And the results are different depending upon what game specifically. This is not ideal. I really want to figure out how to get them all to work through the router, so I don't have to keep switching cables back and forth. Thanks though.

Is there anything special you had to do to get the 360 and One to link hardwired? I'm trying to play Reach via system link with a One X and a 360 using a crossover cable. When the cable isn't connected the lobby shows both players but errors out when trying to join parties. When the cable is connected the lobby then only shows the player from that system and not the other player. I've also tried with a regular non-crossover cable and the same thing happens. Both games and systems are updated to the most recent software as far as I know.

Is there anything special you had to do to get the 360 and One to link hardwired? I'm trying to play Reach via system link with a One X and a 360 using a crossover cable. When the cable isn't connected the lobby shows both players but errors out when trying to join parties. When the cable is connected the lobby then only shows the player from that system and not the other player. I've also tried with a regular non-crossover cable and the same thing happens. Both games and systems are updated to the most recent software as far as I know.

Whether I used regular ethnet or a crossover cable it worked fine either way, Xbox 360 has auto mdix.

Here's what happened for me. The xbox one still retained the ip settings handed to it by the router. So here's what I did:

1) Power off both xbone and xb360.
2) Connect them via ethnet or crossover doesn't matter, but directly connect them, no router no switch no hub.
3) Power them on.
4) Before signing in, go into xbox one's network settings choose "go offline". Let it do it's thing. After it's all done choose "go online".

Should work fine now. If not, manually set ip's on both and make sure the subnet is the same (255.255.255.0 or whatever).

Yeah Reach is one of the ones I've tested. In every single case if hard wiring the two machines together (no middle man..switch etc) and it still isn't working every time all I had to do was the "go offline" toggle trick and it worked fine.

I have to say the xbox one has turned out to be a very problematic console for me. The thing can't maintain a connection to any of the 4 routers i've used, let alone to xblive. Wifi wired nothing helps. Before I even posted this here I went through hours apon hours of reading trying to find answers. I mean xbox people themselves said "system link play accross three generations of xbox consoles".....yet they still haven't bothered to tell people how to get it to work properly.

To this day I still have NOT been able to get the xbox one to system link play through a router (two asus and two netgears), nor through a dumb switch (rosewill brand). Every possible set up and combination I could think of. Nothing ever worked except directly hard wiring the two machines together and then toggling the xbones network off then on. Honestly....I really wish I wouldn't have bought an xbox one.

Sorry for the late reply, i'm just a regular guy, family man. I don't "live in forums". This issue reared it's ugly head again recently though so I remembered this thread. My sons birthday he wanted to play 4 player minecraft. Xbox one can "supposedly" play with pc right? yeah....ran into the same problems. Can't stay connected if through router or dumb switch, but this time it was worse.....couldn't stay connected even hard wired, even after the toggle trick.

If you actually read this and it's any help, since you mentioned Reach. The MCC is coming to pc and will include Reach. Personally I've begun the process of weening my kids away from consoles towards pc. Console gaming has become less like it used to be....simple quick fun, now it's all of the potential problems of pc gaming but with none of the freedom to find a solution to problems. Not to mention the greed, the social control, the...blech.

I'm still trying to solve this problem, but I can't focus a lot of time on it, family is more important than xbox. :) Something so simple eh? Just want to play some system link gaming once in while, with real people, right here in my own home....I know it's a radical heretical concept but.....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!