What's new

XT8 Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.41793 - Open SSID ASUS_C0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dunnaldo

New Around Here
Hi

Since upgrading to firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386.41793 I have noticed that the SSID “ASUS_C0“ remains available and open for anyone to connect to and use - no password required.

Is this normal? I have tried various factory resets and used both the webGUI and the app to set the network up.

I've seen "ASUS_00" added to my router networks after updating to 386.41793. I have Trend Micro intrusion software enabled, so I hope that will take care of any issues.

A follow-up to my earlier comment. It looks like the ASUS_00 network showing on my router web GUI and in WiFi network listings is the 5 GHz-2 wireless backhaul channel. I added WPA-2 security and a password on the "wireless" tab of the Web GUI. While the network still shows up in my WiFi networks listings, a password is now required to access it. I "think" that's all that will be required to protect the network.

There is an option to hide the backhaul channel, but when I selected it and then went to apply the new settings, I got a popup telling me doing so would affect wireless connectivity, so I left it visible. Question for the experts: if I opt to hide the wireless backhaul channel, what impacts would it have on my home network, and how would I go about mitigating them in the most straightforward way possible? Thanks!

Here's what I've found regarding the zombie networks. At some point a firmware update disabled the clearing of nvram for the higher-numbered "guest" SSIDs (wl[#].4-5). I spent a good day trying to flash firmwares that would clear them. I finally just ssh-ed into the node and cleared the setting for the nvram "wl2.5_bss_enabled" variable. Here's an output of what I have currently:
# nvram show | grep "enabled=1"
size: 85073 bytes (45999 left)
wl0_bss_enabled=1
wl1_bss_enabled=1
wl2_bss_enabled=1
wl_bss_enabled=1
Yours will probably also say wl2.5_bss_enabled=1. Do the following over SSH:
# nvram unset wl2.5_bss_enabled
# nvram commit && reboot
nvram unset will clear the variable stored, setting it to defaults.
nvram commit && reboot will save the nvram variables and then reboot the node.

A follow-up to my earlier comment. It looks like the ASUS_00 network showing on my router web GUI and in WiFi network listings is the 5 GHz-2 wireless backhaul channel. I added WPA-2 security and a password on the "wireless" tab of the Web GUI. While the network still shows up in my WiFi networks listings, a password is now required to access it. I "think" that's all that will be required to protect the network.

There is an option to hide the backhaul channel, but when I selected it and then went to apply the new settings, I got a popup telling me doing so would affect wireless connectivity, so I left it visible. Question for the experts: if I opt to hide the wireless backhaul channel, what impacts would it have on my home network, and how would I go about mitigating them in the most straightforward way possible? Thanks!
I set my 5 GHZ-2 to hide SSID. Does anyone know whether hiding is a bad idea?

Hide it, you will be fine. Mine has been hidden since setting up the XT8's a few months ago and there has been no issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!