What's new

XT8 FW 3.0.0.4.386.26044 breaks Sonos

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Because I'm a child and cannot resist shiny new things, I tried 41793... Unfortunately, same issues as 26044 :( Then because I was already headed down the road to self-destruction, I gave the beta (41994) a try. For a minute, I thought we had a fix, but upon further inspection, it's still a no go.

With the Beta, when I launched the Sonos app, all my speakers showed up. This was certainly a change from 26044 through 41793, as when I'd launch the app with those installed, only a few of my speakers would appear. I thought I was good to go, but then I tried to play a song from Apple Music, and while the songs in the playlist showed up and were added to the queue, nothing would play, and I constantly received the error "cannot connect to Apple Music". Interestingly though, I could play local media on my network. Thoughts on this?

Anyway, long story short, I'm back on 25790.

How quick are you with your 'testing' of shiny new things?

Give the network some time to bake and then see if you still don't enjoy the results.

At the very least, to thoroughly test new firmware, I would be doing a full reset to factory defaults (WPS method), minimal and manual configuration with no options/features enabled, and with suggested defaults, no USB drives or other attached to the router and letting the system settle in fully (this can take 24 hours or more, from experience.

Give the network some time to bake and then see if you still don't enjoy the results.

At the very least, to thoroughly test new firmware, I would be doing a full reset to factory defaults (WPS method), minimal and manual configuration with no options/features enabled, and with suggested defaults, no USB drives or other attached to the router and letting the system settle in fully (this can take 24 hours or more, from experience.
I'm curious as to why one would need to wait 24 hours! Suggests really awful firmware if that is the case.

Reported the same problem with my sonos speakers in the ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta thread two months ago. My fix to the problem was to buy an Sonos boost and connected it via cable to one off the XT8 and everything works again.

If the same issues persist there is no need for further testing, Asus has not fixed it.

Because I'm a child and cannot resist shiny new things, I tried 41793... Unfortunately, same issues as 26044 :( Then because I was already headed down the road to self-destruction, I gave the beta (41994) a try. For a minute, I thought we had a fix, but upon further inspection, it's still a no go.

With the Beta, when I launched the Sonos app, all my speakers showed up. This was certainly a change from 26044 through 41793, as when I'd launch the app with those installed, only a few of my speakers would appear. I thought I was good to go, but then I tried to play a song from Apple Music, and while the songs in the playlist showed up and were added to the queue, nothing would play, and I constantly received the error "cannot connect to Apple Music". Interestingly though, I could play local media on my network. Thoughts on this?

Anyway, long story short, I'm back on 25790.
Thanks for testing, I guess I keep staying away from the update.

Reported the same problem with my sonos speakers in the ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta thread two months ago. My fix to the problem was to buy an Sonos boost and connected it via cable to one off the XT8 and everything works again.
I thought about that too, but just out of principle I don't see a point investing in more hardware to fix an issue caused by Asus messing up. It would be a different story if I'd have a larger Sonos system, but for now I am driving two Play 1.

@Daylight_Invader, the firmware has nothing to do with the 24 hr period or longer I've seen a new wireless network stabilize.

It is all about letting the surrounding AP's move off the Control Channel you have chosen instead of leaving your router too in 'Auto' control channel mode.

When (and if) that happens, the network feels 'better than new' then. :)

I wrote Asus awhile back that their firmware has severe issues with Sonos, and other devices such as IP cams on the 2.4GHz WiFi band and that the last Firmware version that worked was Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.386_25790 and ever since they introduced an issue. I only received a standard email thanking me for reporting this bug. Nothing since and because since then they released two updates not fixing this issue, I called Asus over the phone. The guy on the phone at first didn't understand that I want to report a firmware bug and he recommended me to ship the XT8 for an RMA or repair. Eventually my concern was understood and he informed me that he forwarded the bug report to the development team (whatever that means).

hello I think that even in ap mode the latest firmware causes the network to crash when there are sound systems, I unplug some sound systems my system is more stable at nothing or understand

hello I think that even in ap mode the latest firmware causes the network to crash when there are sound systems, I unplug some sound systems my system is more stable at nothing or understand
Perhaps it is specific to the types of "sound systems". No issues here with any of my HEOS equipment.

This was originally confirmed in a post over on the Sonos forums, but I can verify, contrary to my previous post that firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_41793 does indeed work after you perform a factory reset as outlined HERE. I confirmed on all my speakers/amps/move with streaming services + local media.

@L&LD nailed it, you clearly need to do the factory reset. Kind of a pain in the butt really.

This was originally confirmed in a post over on the Sonos forums, but I can verify, contrary to my previous post that firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_41793 does indeed work after you perform a factory reset as outlined HERE. I confirmed on all my speakers/amps/move with streaming services + local media.

@L&LD nailed it, you clearly need to do the factory reset. Kind of a pain in the butt really.
I upgrade my XT8 with the new firmware and all is working fine with all my sonos speakers, two ones connected to the main XT8 and another from IKEA connected to the mesh node.

XT8 are working in AP mode

I try to connect the mesh node to an ethernet port in one of my switch but the wifi goes down immediately, why is necessary connect the mesh node directly to the main node?

I upgrade my XT8 with the new firmware and all is working fine with all my sonos speakers, two ones connected to the main XT8 and another from IKEA connected to the mesh node.

XT8 are working in AP mode

I try to connect the mesh node to an ethernet port in one of my switch but the wifi goes down immediately, why is necessary connect the mesh node directly to the main node?

Hi,

I posted the same issue on this thread XT8 Potential 3.0.0.4.386_26044 Issue | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com).

As there are now a number of people working from home and also schooling in my household, I need changes to be quick and fast with minimum risk of extended downtime to investigate issues., prepared to do a full factory reset, but I'd like to hear of other peoples experiences around this before committing the downtime. I did also have an issue with 26044 not allowing multiplayer for 2 Xbox ones in my network (works great with 25790).

XT8 is in Router mode for me with one other XT8 node which is on the wireless back haul.

Would love to hear from other users who successfully followed this path

Thanks

Minimos

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!