What's new

YazDHCP - alpha - Extended DHCP management script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@TheMorpN see the link below. :)

Did we do something here to disrupt Diversion's stats processing? It does a lookup to a file that doesn't look to be populated the same way: hosts.dnsmasq in the tmp etc directory.

Reminds me of the old joke about the aircraft carrier and the lighthouse. Who is going to give way?

Reminds me of the old joke about the aircraft carrier and the lighthouse. Who is going to give way?
well i can't do anything to make diversion check the new files without clogging up /etc/dnsmasq.conf with all of the dhcp-host lines again (if that is in fact what it is doing). doing so would break the "single line" modification we addon writers try to adhere to :)

One simple solution is to populate host inside host.add
that wouldn't help as my script would conflict with other entries users may have added. it would mean adding logic to check for existing entries and update accordingly - or what if the user has something custom that matches for a particular IP?

it's cleaner to populate DHCP separately via a dedicated file for YazDHCP

that wouldn't help as my script would conflict with other entries users may have added. it would mean adding logic to check for existing entries and update accordingly - or what if the user has something custom that matches for a particular IP?

it's cleaner to populate DHCP separately via a dedicated file for YazDHCP
You still suffer the issue of what if because the fact there may be a custom host.add and your script does not check for any conflicting entries present inside it as it stands does it.?

no but at worst they're duplicated and not overwritten
You run the risk for hostnames being listed multiple times per ip or multiple ips per hostname. Idk how clean that is. Maybe you should hijack the host.add and just place a small text section on your enhanced gui for users to place their custom host.add sections.

Last edited:
You run the risk for hostnames being listed multiple times per ip or multiple ips per hostname. Idk how clean that is. Maybe you should hijack the host.add and just place a small text section on your enhanced gui for users to place their custom host.add sections.
I don't want to manipulate shared files such as hosts.add other than to add/remove a single line. That is the agreed standard Addon developers work with.

I suspect the risk of duplicates happening is very low. The target audience of this script is users who use the GUI and want more space for larger reservation lists. Those of you already using hosts.add and dnsmasq.conf.add I trust are savvy enough to figure out how to avoid duplicates if you decide to use this script :)

If I follow, the compatible lookup for diversion and similar uses would be to jffs.addons.YazDHCP.d.DHCP_Clients and not to tmp.etc.hosts.dnsmasq. The formats are the same, so it should be relatively easy.

So we would be asking @thelonelycoder to set the lookup file as a variable read from a file that it would install, and that this script would manipulate and restore on an uninstall.

(Off point: we can't use slashes in posts?)

@Jack Yaz, sorry, the website is broken. I can only give you one like! Thank you so much!

I am unclear as to what file(s) this will touch.
I use dnsmasq.conf.add to enable good ID for my Pi-hole.
How are you using this file, add to or replace contents?

I am unclear as to what file(s) this will touch.
I use dnsmasq.conf.add to enable good ID for my Pi-hole.
How are you using this file, add to or replace contents?
I add 3 lines, to tell dnsmasq to load dedicated files for:
dhcp reservations (dhcp-host directives)
hostnames
options (for client specific DNS options)

Worked brilliantly here on my AX86U! Excellent touch replacing the stock Asus DHCP page.

Now that I want to have my Pi-hole accurately ID all clients, it has become necessary to assign every device as static. Most ID, some don't, may as well just assign them all. By backing up the files involved, I can easily restore them when needed.
Thank you so much.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!