What's new

YazDHCP YazDHCP - feature expansion of DHCP assignments (increasing limit on the number of DHCP reservations)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nvram is quite small compared to jffs. On my AX88U, nvram is 128KB and jffs is 63MB. Huge difference!
As a result, as Asus has added more and more important values/settings/variables to nvram (so it survives reboots and resets) the need to find areas to "reduce" usage is expected. DHCP static is one area that has been reduced, I believe once before this time as well. Nvram is critical - jffs is the next spot to move things to.

The main problem (for us users) in using jffs is that, unlike nvram, it is not really permanent. A factory device reset and/or a "format jffs at next boot" will erase what you have in jffs.

As users of these fine addons, we should remember to backup jffs to USB once in a while.
Most of my scripts have an option to store data on USB, particularly those that use databases. I'm gradually adding that ability to all of them :)

Nvram is quite small compared to jffs. On my AX88U, nvram is 128KB and jffs is 63MB. Huge difference!
As a result, as Asus has added more and more important values/settings/variables to nvram (so it survives reboots and resets) the need to find areas to "reduce" usage is expected. DHCP static is one area that has been reduced, I believe once before this time as well. Nvram is critical - jffs is the next spot to move things to.

The main problem (for us users) in using jffs is that, unlike nvram, it is not really permanent. A factory device reset and/or a "format jffs at next boot" will erase what you have in jffs.

As users of these fine addons, we should remember to backup jffs to USB once in a while.
Wow, you're right...128kB nvram and 47MB jffs on my ac86
Off I go to to the command line, to install another Jack Yaz script!

Calling all brave testers! I've implemented an Export feature for the DHCP_Clients file that will download a CSV of your reservations and hostnames, and an experimental Import feature for that same CSV.

The import is intended to be used to import an untouched copy of the exported file. If you decide to edit the exported file, then please ensure you add the appropriate number of delimiters/"columns" if adding any new entries. I do not intend to add much validation to the import file at this time given the intended use. I may add validation in the future if this feature proves popular/people want to safely edit the CSV.

If you'd like to try it out, download YazDHCP 1.0.1 today:
Code:
YazDHCP forceupdate
YazDHCP develop

Calling all brave testers! I've implemented an Export feature for the DHCP_Clients file that will download a CSV of your reservations and hostnames, and an experimental Import feature for that same CSV.

The import is intended to be used to import an untouched copy of the exported file. If you decide to edit the exported file, then please ensure you add the appropriate number of delimiters/"columns" if adding any new entries. I do not intend to add much validation to the import file at this time given the intended use. I may add validation in the future if this feature proves popular/people want to safely edit the CSV.

Code:
YazDHCP forceupdate
YazDHCP develop
Cool, it works nicely. :)

The script exported the csv file fine. And it is very clear if you need to edit or add any parameter.

Just one thing, when I am looking under the "client list" ... it shows the clients and the IP address as "DHCP." Only the clients that I configured with Manual IP in the settings of each device ... are being shown as "manual". I think before installing the script all the clients configured under manual assignment were shown as "static"

Code:
YazDHCP forceupdate
YazDHCP develop
Interesting oddity testing this on iPadOS 14 Safari. The browser offered the csv with filename DHCP_clients.csv.html. Not saying it’s your problem to solve, but an anomaly if anyone else tests it on iOS. Import wouldn’t accept the same file since it has that darn .html extension after the csv.

Would still love to update via the webui. :)

Nice work!

Interesting oddity testing this on iPadOS 14 Safari. The browser offered the csv with filename DHCP_clients.csv.html. Not saying it’s your problem to solve, but an anomaly if anyone else tests it on iOS. Import wouldn’t accept the same file since it has that darn .html extension after the csv.

Would still love to update via the webui. :)

Nice work!
I thought iOS would probably misbehave, with safari on macos a close second. Browser standards mean nothing to Apple :(

And why fix bugs when you can get new features? :D
I'll fix the webui update in the morning

@Jack Yaz Does this script interact with the IP address range(s) of the guest WiFi clients of the YazFi script?

Thanks. :)

I've replaced the export mechanism with the same method Asus use to export the client list from network map (thanks for the tip @RMerlin !)
"View" doesn't seem to do anything in Safari on my iOS device but download works as expected

v1.0.1 is now available

Changelog:

• NEW: Export DHCP_Clients as a CSV file from the WebUI
  • NEW: Import DHCP_Clients.csv, e.g. from a backup*
  • FIXED: Check for updates in WebUI
*The import is intended to be used to import an untouched copy of the exported file. If you decide to edit the exported file, then please ensure you add the appropriate number of delimiters/"columns" if adding any new entries. I do not intend to add any validation to the import file at this time given the intended use. I may add validation in the future if this feature proves popular/people want to safely edit the CSV.

Hello,

is there a simple possibility to uninstall the script?

Thank you

Kind regards
hababu
You can writte YazDCHP once you are logged to your router through SSH.

If this doesn’t work then you can open the menu by typing /jffs/scripts/YazDHCP

This will open the script menu. There you can select the option to uninstall the script. Option: z

Thanks for your fast reply - I will try it.

Another question - does this script only increases the number of DHCP entries? Or does it also increase the number of entries of the MAC filter addresses for WIFI? (max. 64)

Thank you

Kind regards

Or does it also increase the number of entries of the MAC filter addresses for WIFI? (max. 64)
No. But maybe you've given The Yaz another idea...

One small suggestion: in the heading listing the max number of entries, add the current number of entries, perhaps like "(Max Limit: xxx; currently xxxx)". This simple -- in what is now line 177 of the .asp?
Code:
     document.getElementById("GWStatic").innerHTML = "Manually Assigned IP addresses in the DHCP scope (Max Limit: " + maxnumrows + "; currently: " + data.length + ")";

Several times I've counted manually. I'm very far away from the 181 limit I currently have, but I installed the script because I was so surprised to see I was only 1 away from the standard limit.

@Jack Yaz Network map, client list, the clients with fixed ip no longer shows as manual setting but automatic ip, no big deal, only cosmetic. Also, and this could be unrelated, but I have 2 clients that I removed internet access (block internet access - on) and I cannot unblock it, after turning off still shows as blocked.
edit: the second issue is also cosmetic (the device has internet access) and not related to this script

Last edited:
Found this thread as I'm looking to edit DHCP options such as boot servers. Is it possible to set these with this script?

@Jack Yaz Network map, client list, the clients with fixed ip no longer shows as manual setting but automatic ip, no big deal, only cosmetic. Also, and this could be unrelated, but I have 2 clients that I removed internet access (block internet access - on) and I cannot unblock it, after turning off still shows as blocked.
edit: the second issue is also cosmetic (the device has internet access) and not related to this script
networkmap is a big black box so who knows how they determine that. it's possible they scan /etc/dnsmasq.conf for dhcp-host directives and match on MAC. since YazDHCP moves them to a separate file, that would explain it

One small suggestion: in the heading listing the max number of entries, add the current number of entries, perhaps like "(Max Limit: xxx; currently xxxx)". This simple -- in what is now line 177 of the .asp?
Code:
     document.getElementById("GWStatic").innerHTML = "Manually Assigned IP addresses in the DHCP scope (Max Limit: " + maxnumrows + "; currently: " + data.length + ")";

Several times I've counted manually. I'm very far away from the 181 limit I currently have, but I installed the script because I was so surprised to see I was only 1 away from the standard limit.
I could do this. It would need to be recalculated after each row is added before saving too.