What's new

YazDHCP YazDHCP - feature expansion of DHCP assignments (increasing limit on the number of DHCP reservations)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

networkmap is a big black box so who knows how they determine that. it's possible they scan /etc/dnsmasq.conf for dhcp-host directives and match on MAC. since YazDHCP moves them to a separate file, that would explain it
You might need to think about how you would handle users who setup a MAC/IP binding in the Network Map Client List pop-up after installing YazDHCP. Presumably this will create a new entry in dhcp_staticlist after you've already converted the nvram settings. Pain in the butt, but someone will eventually do it and wonder why they can't find it in the list.

1611602491778.png

You might need to think about how you would handle users who setup a MAC/IP binding in the Network Map Client List pop-up after installing YazDHCP. Presumably this will create a new entry in dhcp_staticlist after you've already converted the nvram settings. Pain in the butt, but someone will eventually do it and wonder why they can't find it in the list.

View attachment 29863
i didn't even know that was a feature. simple fix - "don't do that" :D

LOL. Now you know and you won't be able to resist coding a recurring check of the nvram vars during every page load or script invocation. ;)
i'm somewhat hopeful someone will get my obscure reference ;-)

and maybe I will. vpnmgr and YazFi are currently in my dev schedule, I'm happy with YazDHCP as things stand!

I'm only going so far as a Henny Youngman reference, but we may have humors of two different continents. Or I'm just too dorky.

Last edited:

and maybe I will. vpnmgr and YazFi are currently in my dev schedule, I'm happy with YazDHCP as things stand!
Maybe an inotify on dhcp_staticlist with a pop up that says “Don’t Do That” would be the compromise solution? ;-)

I could do this. It would need to be recalculated after each row is added before saving too.
Until you "apply", none of it sticks, does it? So maybe good enough without perfection.

Given networkmap etc. assume a hardcoded /24 (unless that's changed) I have some wiggle room on ignoring that one
Interesting. I have wondered about the feasibility of supernetting with the growth in IoT devices. This script would be useful for that as well since presumably one could set up a custom DNS to help block "calls home."

Hi, is there any plan to add more than 1 MAC to a single IP? I mean, some device have both wired and wireless MAC (i.e. printers) and I'd be nice to have 1 entry for both MAC addresses and assign it one IP only

Hi, is there any plan to add more than 1 MAC to a single IP? I mean, some device have both wired and wireless MAC (i.e. printers) and I'd be nice to have 1 entry for both MAC addresses and assign it one IP only
I assume doing so would present a problem if the device has both network interfaces connecting to network at the same time. Generally each adapter would need its own unique IP address to avoid address conflicts. Now if only one of the two (or more network adapters) was connected then it would be nice if such a setting could be implemented.

For those without a lot of local devices, its not a big deal to simply assign static IP's to each device's network adapter MAC when that device has two (or more) network adapters. Just makes for a cluttered network map/IP assignment list if one has a number of devices with two or more network adapters.

I think you should have different MAC IP address for wired and wireless. In my case, a MacBook Pro had different MAC IP Address for the wired adapter and for the wireless adapter. So, using YazDHCP, I assigned a different IP adress for each one. So my MacBook has two different manual IP deppending if it is connected wired or wireless.

You don't know how many times managers leave their wireless (even cellular active) when they plug back into the dock (wired) and then ask why something is slower than normal. :eek: Wired>Wifi Would think this would complicate things for any regular user who doesn't read the fine print or understand the purpose properly.

Nice job Yaz, this works! Thank you!

A very minor comment about the initial install...

The installer at one point asks:

Do you want to export DHCP assignments and hostnames from nvram to YazDHCP DHCP client files? (y/n) YazDHCP will backup nvram/jffs DHCP data as part of the export, but you may wish to screenshot https://<ip_address>/Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp Enter answer (y/n):

However, when I went to the page it had already been replaced with the YazDHCP version, and so no hosts were displayed, i.e. nothing to screenshot.

I said 'y' and all is well. :cool:

A very minor comment about the initial install...

The installer at one point asks:

Do you want to export DHCP assignments and hostnames from nvram to YazDHCP DHCP client files? (y/n) YazDHCP will backup nvram/jffs DHCP data as part of the export, but you may wish to screenshot https://<ip_address>/Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp Enter answer (y/n):

However, when I went to the page it had already been replaced with the YazDHCP version, and so no hosts were displayed, i.e. nothing to screenshot.

I said 'y' and all is well. :cool:
Good spot, I'll move the screenshot prompt to the installer prior to replacing the page. A screenshot backup of DHCP is never a bad thing to have, just in case

Thanks as ever Jack for your wonderful scripts.

My daily driver router is a AX88U which replace a AC88U that I still have gathering dust. I want to use the AC88U as a spare just in case my AX88U fails and basically I just like to tinker!

I have saved my DHCP reservations and exported them to a CSV file. My question is can I import that file into the AC88U, obviously with YazDHCP previously installed?

Both routers are running Merlin 386.1

Last edited: