1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

YazFi - enhanced AsusWRT-Merlin Guest WiFi Networks

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Jack Yaz, Apr 8, 2018.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Regular Contributor

I'll qualify that by saying the external HD I have as a Samba share on the router is accessible by any machine on the router if it has the correct password.

daviworld likes this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Jack Yaz

Jack Yaz Very Senior Member

Yes...that's odd, because my samba share on the router (all 4) cannot even be reached for authentication! Perhaps we need to sort out a screensharing session so that we can see what's going on there.

daviworld likes this.
  4. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Regular Contributor

Dunno. But I'm happy with it as-is! :D

Jack Yaz likes this.
  5. Paulo Pereira

Paulo Pereira New Around Here

Hello everyone, does any way to yazfi work in AP Mode??? If not, is there a way to work arround??
    Tanhs in advance

6. Jack Yaz

Unfortunately it wont work in AP mode

7. mxyz

mxyz New Around Here

^ +1 for this ^

I've got two AC68Us; the main one in the house in router mode, the other in the garage in AP mode, connected via ethernet. Same SSID, moving between them now seems perfectly seamless.

What I need is a separate guest network on the AP mode Router2. The guest network could be on Router1 also, if it's easier since its already doing the routing, but would still need to be on Router2.

Router1 is where the phone line, and modem are so they cant be easily swapped. The two simple solutions that I'm trying to avoid are, plug in a third router or put them both in router mode.

I've found some router only features, like VPN, work just fine in AP mode, set up by manually going to the page, start and stop the service with a script.
    It doesn't look like AiMesh repeats the main router's guest networks, that would be an ideal solution. When it was first released I tried it and it was a disaster, I'd give it anther chance if it did guest networks.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice or direction before I start experimenting, screw things up, then put it back together the way it was.

8. HuskyHerder

HuskyHerder Regular Contributor

It, AiMesh does not support Guest Network's... in my reading, that is. I am giving it a try currently.

9. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

probably with aimesh phase 2, some of next firmwares will support guest-WiFi on nodes.

HuskyHerder likes this.
  10. Jack Yaz

Might be possible to do something with vlan tagging on the AP guest interfaces, but that goes beyond the current scope of YazFi

HowIFix likes this.
  11. Jack Yaz

I'd like to but I don't have the free time to write a menu driven script at the moment

HowIFix likes this.
  12. Jack Yaz

I know, I do want to make it easier to use, but the new job is taking it out of me :(

I have got lan access working on my personal version, I need to make it robust and then i can add it to the main script :)

HuskyHerder and HowIFix like this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!