What's new

ZenWifi ET12 5Ghz radio gone - hardware fault?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dahauns

New Around Here
At this point, I'm fairly convinced that it's a hardware issue, but before sending it back I thought I'd give it a shot here...here goes:

I got an ET12 on sale - main use case would be the 6Ghz band for the Quest 3, I don't have a lot of requirements otherwise (most other equipment is wired behind a switch, no Mesh etc needed).
Did initial setup with three separate SSIDs, no Smart Connect, and everything looked fine.

But when troubleshooting the 6G band (not visible with AX210 laptop - which I know now is a driver/windows issue *rolleyes*...), after a while, all of a sudden the 5G radio seemed to have vanished.
Not just invisible from the client, but completely gone, with even the UI getting confused:
* The 5Ghz config section in the Wireless tab shows and assigns 6Ghz channels (usually 85 when on auto). Thus no way to actually set 5Ghz channels.
* The 6Ghz config section is there, with the SSID assigned, but it never gets a channel or even a list for selection.
* The 6Ghz MAC field in the overview remains empty with what I assume the 6Ghz MAC being in the 5Ghz field (initially :30/:34/:38, now only :30/:38 ever shows up)
* The App shows the configured radios as "2.4Ghz, 6Ghz-1, 6Ghz-2"
* The band selection in "Professional" is broken, only allowing 2.4Ghz to be selected unless I disable 5Ghz radio (via App)
* logs (syslog and wireless) only show entries for 2.4 and 6Ghz.
* theres some lines for DFS search, but it only ever says Idle status in the wireless log - and I've waited far longer than 10 minutes to rule out DFS issues...
And a few observations after combing through things over ssh:
* ifconfig et al only ever show eth4 and eth5, eth6 is missing.
* wl channel list for 5G is always empty
* wl2 MAC is empty
* ...and so on.

And the frustrating thing and what makes me think its actually hardware related:
I've tested with several firmwares (last few stable 388, latest beta, latest 386) - and even though with factory reset+WPS button hard reset procedure every time, the issue remains unchanged.
Going through all kinds of radio-affecting settings (Eth backhaul etc.) didn't change a thing.
I even end up with a broken config right after the wizard after doing a hard reset:
When entering, say, MYSSID_24G/MYSSID_5G/MYSSID_6G/"separate bands", it ends up with MYSSID_24G/MYSSID_6G/ASUS_ET12_PRO (the latter open!)
Oh, if it helps: I'm in Austria, the country code is set to Germany (which seems to be the common case and fine, though, from what I've googled.)

Anyone maybe having that one perfect hint I was missing, saving this mess? Or at least some words of consolation? ;D

Anyone maybe having that one perfect hint I was missing, saving this mess?

If basic functions don't work out-of-the-box with no other factors in play... like trouble connected to it, then I'd call it DOA and move it out.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!