What's new

ZenWiFi XD6 Guest Network on AiMesh nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RoyT

New Around Here
Hi, I'm interested in buying some XD6 mesh nodes to extend coverage (I have an RT-AX89X). However, I'm getting conflicting information on whether it supports the "Guest Network on AiMesh node". I have this setting on my AX89X.

If someone could please confirm to me that this setting exists on the XD6 and works I'll really appreciate it. ASUS customer support actually said they can't guarantee it because it's "not in the official support list". Super weird...

EDIT: After buying two ZenWiFi XD6 units, setting them as mesh nodes with the AX89X as the main router, and selecting "Sync to AiMesh nodes" in the guest network settings, I can confirm the guest network and the main network are being broadcast from all nodes and the main router. So far very happy with the system and the setup.

Attachments

• IMG_20230209_004144.jpg
    IMG_20230209_004144.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @RoyT.

Afaik, if the XD6 supports AiMesh (which it does), then the main router controls that setting, not the node.

In your case, buy with return privileges and find out either way first hand.

Myself though? I would not be using any ZenWiFi in my networks. I buy routers for the performance, not the looks. The RT-AX68U, for example, would be my first test/choice (followed by the RT-AX86U, and then the GT-AX6000).

Welcome to the forums @RoyT.

Afaik, if the XD6 supports AiMesh (which it does), then the main router controls that setting, not the node.

In your case, buy with return privileges and find out either way first hand.

Myself though? I would not be using any ZenWiFi in my networks. I buy routers for the performance, not the looks. The RT-AX68U, for example, would be my first test/choice (followed by the RT-AX86U, and then the GT-AX6000).
Thanks for the reply.
We bought the set of 2 ZenWiFi XD6 units a few days ago and the guest network is broadcast successfully from all nodes as well as the main router (AX89X).
At least here, it didn't make sense cost-wise to get something like the AX68U or AX86U. two units of those would cost much more than the XD6 (which happened to be on 18% discount).
Our main concern was coverage across the house floors and for that we just needed enough units. Speed is less of an issue since anything which has high traffic is using a wired connection.
So it wasn't really a question of looks, but of cost effectiveness for our purposes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!